At BMCC we have BIG goals – one goal is to have every student engage in one or more experiential learning opportunity before they graduate. This type of learning strategy can serve students in many ways – through providing industry insights or fortifying new skills, but also as a technique to build social capital for lifelong professional success.
What is Experiential Learning?
Experiential learning opportunities are purposeful experiences. BMCC students will find some integrated into the classroom – service learning projects and academic internships. Other forms of experiential learning happen outside of the classroom like study abroad, targeted volunteerism and independent internships. Experiential learning opportunities are just one approach we support for students which can help to develop, enhance and build upon academic knowledge, skills and values.
Our office works directly with students in the following areas:
There are also other opportunities for experiential learning across campus:
- Undergraduate Research
- Clinical Preparation / Externship / Field Experience
- Student Employment
- Student Leadership Roles (examples include: CUNY Service Corps, Peer Mentoring, Student Government Association, Urban Male Leadership Academy)
Workshops and other Events
The Office of Internships and Experiential Learning develops events and workshops year round to support and engage students in experiential learning opportunities. Stay tuned for our Fall 2019 schedule.
- Internship Information Sessions
- Study Abroad Information Sessions
- Accounting Internship Orientation
- Business/Liberal Arts Internship Orientation
- Media, Arts andTechnology Internship Orientation
At BMCC, we offer a diverse portfolio of opportunities through professional work, research, service and global engagement. We are always looking for new partnerships, if you are interested in working with us, please see our Community Partners page.