We welcome students who are interested in transferring to BMCC. If you took courses at another college, were in good standing during your last semester, and maintained a grade point average of 2.0 or greater you are eligible to transfer to BMCC.
What documents do I need to transfer to BMCC?
You will need to prepare some information in order to apply. This includes
- Proof of high school graduation
- Transcripts from any colleges you have attended
Your documents will not be returned, so don’t submit valuable originals. You will need to get official copies of documents
from the schools you have attended, i.e. you can’t just copy them yourself.
Mark each document you submit with your social security number or your student ID number if you have one.
How many courses can I transfer?
You can transfer up to 45 credits to BMCC. These courses will be marked with a grade of “TR” on your BMCC transcript.
What kind of courses can I transfer?
- Only college level courses, from an accredited college(s), are evaluated for transfer credits. Remedial, Developmental, Freshman Studies, English as a Second Language (E.S.L.), and College Prep courses are not transferable.
- Students transferring credits from City University of New York (CUNY) colleges can receive transfer credit for some “D” grades depending on their BMCC major.
- Students transferring credits from colleges outside of CUNY must have earned a grade of “C” or above in order for courses to be accepted.
- Courses must be comparable in content to the BMCC curriculum. If the courses from your former college(s) are not a requirement for your major at BMCC, it may be accepted as an elective.
- The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a way of earning college credit by examination. Borough of Manhattan Community College does award credit for some subject examinations. Please refer to BMCC’s CLEP program.
Do any courses need approval by BMCC departments?
- Departmental approval must be obtained for science courses taken more than ten (10) years ago.
- All technical courses need departmental approval.
- Clinical nursing courses are also not transferable.
Can nursing courses be transferred?
- Students who receive transfer credit in one or more of the pre-clinical nursing courses (ENG 101, PSY 100, BIO 425, CHE 121) have the option to request one time only during the first semester of enrollment the removal of transfer credit in one or more of the pre-clinical nursing courses. Student must see the pre-clinical Academic advisor in the Nursing Department, room S-730.
Can courses be transferred from any college?
- Transfer credits will only be evaluated from *accredited institutions listed on the student’s admission application. The submission of documents in support of applications for admission such as transcripts, diplomas, test scores, references, or the applications themselves, that are forged, fraudulent, altered from the original, obtained under false pretenses, or otherwise deceptive (collectively referred to as fraudulent documents) is prohibited by the City University of New York (CUNY) and may be punishable by: a bar to applying for admission, suspension and expulsion. The term applications for admission include transfer applications.
*BMCC considers transfer credits from institutions that are accredited by one of the following associations:
- MS Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Higher Learning Commission (formerly known as North Central Association of Colleges and Schools)
- NE New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- NW Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
- NY New York Association of the New York State Board of Regents
- SA Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- WA Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Credits for schools for candidacy status are not considered.