You must complete two semesters of hospital based clinical training:
- HIT 210 – Professional Practice Experience I, meeting for six (6) weeks at the college and a health related facility, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- HIT 430 – Professional Practice Experience II, meeting Wednesdays and Thursdays for the entire spring semester (senior year), 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The HIT faculty will determine the student’s clinical assignments based on the availability of clinical sites for the rotation period. Students must be flexible regarding clinical dates as the clearance process may delay start dates.
Prior to a site assignment ALL students MUST submit the following:
1. the HIT physical examination form completed by a licensed physician (distributed by college)
2. proof of purchased of liability insurance (distributed by college)
3. All additional facility requirements such as drugs tests and toxicology, orientation, confidentiality waivers, Health Information Privacy Act (HIPAA) training, two PPD exams, general orientation, criminal background check, and a physical examination by a facility doctor.
Students currently employed in a health information management department CANNOT be assigned to that site for HIT 210 or HIT 430 rotation.
Attendance of clinicals is mandatory. Should students miss a clinical day or days for any reason, they must make the days up at the site to which they were assigned. If the clinical site refuses to make special arrangements, their final grade will be unsatisfactory (U) and the course MUST be repeated.
Students are responsible for any additional transportation costs to the clinical site.