The Department of Allied Health Sciences offers three professional programs: Paramedic, Health Information Technology, and Respiratory Therapy. Students successfully completing these programs are awarded the Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree and are qualified to work as technicians or therapists in a variety of health care agencies.
- Health Information Technology will teach you specific skills to work in the health information management (HIM) profession, including working with patient medical information or charts (e.g., completion, reimbursement, state, city, government laws and regulations, charging for services rendered, lawsuits, access). Graduates with this degree can find employment in nursing homes, rehab centers, doctor’s offices, insurance companies, government, and more.
- Paramedics are specialist healthcare professionals who respond to emergency calls for medical help outside of a hospital. Paramedics often work as part of the emergency medical services (EMS), in settings such as a public ambulance service, a fire department, a hospital based service, a private company working under contract and more.
- Respiratory Therapy prepares you for a career as a licensed licensed healthcare professional who can treat people with conditions affecting the cardiopulmonary system such as asthma, emphysema, pneumonia, cardiovascular disorders, and trauma. Respiratory therapists provide care and life support to patients in the emergency room, intensive care units, general hospital areas, the pulmonary diagnostics laboratory and other specialty areas such as outpatient clinics and pulmonary rehabilitation units.
The Department of Allied Health Sciences Goals
- To prepare all AHS students to pass the applicable certification and licensing exams
- To prepare students for employment
- To demonstrate to students the concept of lifelong learning
- To demonstrate to students the importance of involvement in professional organizations
- To create a supportive learning environment for all students
- To provide relevant professional practice experiences to all students
- To encourage faculty to remain current in their disciplines and continuously improve their teaching skills