Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is an academic internship course?
The academic internship course at BMCC is an opportunity to receive two college credits for a semester-long internship (fall, spring or summer). Students in certain majors are required to take the internship course, while others may take the course as an elective (check with your Academic Advisor). See here for more detail.

2. How do I register for the course?
If you meet the following requirements, the Office of Internships and Experiential Learning will register you in the course:

  • Have completed 24 credits (includes transfer credits)
  • Have completed all remedial courses (if required)
  • Completed Experiential Learning Application
  • Attended Internship Orientation Session and received faculty approval

3. How do I find an internship?
Students are encouraged to be proactive in finding their own internships. The internship should be related to your field of study. See here for more guidance on the internship search.

4. Do I have to take a Career Planning course (CED 201/MEA 201) before I take an academic internship?
We encourage students to take this course if it fits into your schedule and requirements. Some students take this class before the internship course to gain professional development in preparation for their internship.  However, it is only required for students majoring in Accounting and Computer Information Systems.

5. Are there paid internship opportunities?
Some of the internships are non-paid positions and some internships will provide stipends; however, this is not guaranteed.

6. Can I use my current job as my internship site?
Yes, students are allowed to use their current job if it relates to their academic major. The faculty teaching the internship course will explain the internship process and arrange to have you evaluated as part of the internship grading process.

7. Are academic internships available in the summer?
Yes, but registration is limited to those students who need the academic internship course to graduate in the summer semester. If you will still be taking classes in the upcoming fall semester, you may be asked to register for internship in the fall semester. The summer academic internship course lasts for 10 weeks.

8. Can international students (F-1) do an academic internship?
Yes, international students on an F-1 Visa are eligible to take an academic internship. Internships will count towards Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and the student must collaborate with the International Student office to process all appropriate paperwork. The department is not responsible for finding internships that will provide the student with CPT. You can only apply to CPT only if you are registering for the academic internship course. See here for more guidance.

9. Can undocumented students do an academic internship?
It depends. Paid internships usually require work authorization. The following categories are usually eligible for work authorization:

  • DACA students
  • Students with an expired visa who are working on a status change
  • Refugee students

10. Can I do an internship without taking the internship course?
Yes, non-credit internships do not require registration. They are a great way to build your resume and allow for other coursework in your degree.

Internships and Experiential Learning

199 Chambers Street, Room S-750A, D, H
New York, NY 10007

Office Hours:
9 a.m.-5 p.m.