International Students

BMCC is a truly diverse campus, including our over 900 international students. Experiential Learning can provide valuable experience for international students – we encourage you to take advantage of this learning opportunity.

International students will find support and resources through the International Student Services Office (ISSO), including advice on what type of experiential learning opportunity is the best fit for your visa type.

Curricular Practical Training

Our office works with ISSO and academic departments with internships courses to support off-campus (paid and unpaid) internships through Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT allows BMCC international students (non-immigrant students with F-1 status) to intern, research and participate in work-learning experiences for one semester when eligible in both part-time and full-time capacities.

Please contact the International Student Services Office for the Curricular Practical Training Application form. This will provide further details on the steps required to participate in an off-campus internship or work-learning experience.

Eligibility for Curricular Practical Training

  • Students must be on F‐1 status at least for one full academic year (2 semesters).
  • Students must be enrolled in the required or optional internship course related to your major.
  • Students must be registered full‐time, unless you are in the last semester of completing your degree.
  • Students must have a job offer.

Without your CPT I‐20 from the ISSO you cannot start working at an internship.

Application and Documentation Requirements

  1. Students must be registered for a CPT course.
  2. Students must complete a CPT Request Form with internship faculty and/or supervising department chair.
  3. An offer letter from the employer on company letterhead. The letter must contain the following information:
    • The employer’s name and address
    • The student’s name
    • The statement of the offer with compensation details (paid or non‐ paid)
    • The number of hours to be worked (full or part‐time specified)
    • The beginning and end dates of the employment
  4. BMCC DegreeWorks printout from your CUNYfirst account
  5. Valid passport with visa, your current I‐94 information or printout of electronic I‐94, and social security card
    • If you do not have a social security number and will be a paid intern – the International Student Services Office will help you obtain a social security number after filing CPT paperwork.

Internships and Experiential Learning

199 Chambers Street, Room S-750A, D, H
New York, NY 10007

Office Hours:
9 a.m.-5 p.m.