The NBCU Academy is providing scholarship money for BMCC students who express an interest in journalism. BMCC is the first community college in New York City that has been chosen by the NBCU Academy to provide scholarship money to help promote diversity in journalism.
To qualify for this scholarship, students should:
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be an enrolled full time student for Academic Year 2021-2022
- Have completed at least one journalism course in previous academic year, or plan to enroll in at least one journalism course for Academic Year 2021-2022.
- Have a demonstrated track record of academic achievement.
- Have completed 12 credits by Fall 2021.
- Have done work in support of issues related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Have skills required for creation of content reflective of diverse communities that provide insight into contemporary challenges.
To apply for the scholarship, students must:
- Submit a 500-word essay defining interest in journalism and possible future goals in journalism.
- Submit two letters of recommendation: academic; extracurricular; an employer; or leader in their community will be accepted.
- Students can submit published work and/or the best of their academic, or journalistic writing.
The deadline to apply for this scholarship is May 20, 2021. Submit application materials to email@example.com.
Candidates will be selected by the BMCC English Department’s Journalism faculty under the College’s scholarship policies.