BMCC is one of 17 colleges and universities across the country partnering with the NBCU Academy, launched by NBC Universal News Group to provide scholarships to students from traditionally underrepresented communities who are interested in journalism, broadcast, media (both print and digital), communications, and content creation.
Eligible full-time students will receive scholarships of up to $5,000 to fund either a semester or full academic year.
To qualify for this scholarship, students should:
- Demonstrate financial need
- Must be an enrolled full time student for Academic Year 2022-2023
- Have completed at least one course in previous academic year (2020-2021) or plan to enroll in at least one course in Journalism, Video and Arts Technology, Media and Arts Technology, or Communications in Academic Year 2021-2022
- Have a demonstrated track record of academic achievement
- Have completed 12 credits by Fall 2022
- Have done work in support of issues related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Have skills required for creation of content reflective of diverse communities that provide insight into contemporary challenges
- Submit a 500-word essay defining interest in journalism and possible future goals in journalism
- Submit a work sample*
- Two Letters of Recommendation: academic; extracurricular; an employer; or leader in their community will be accepted
*Students can submit published work and/or the best of their academic work or journalistic writing.
Candidates will be selected by faculty under the College’s scholarship policies.
Applications are due at 11:59 p.m. on May 23, 2023.
Submit an application.