The Urban Male Leadership Academy (UMLA) is firmly committed to increasing the enrollment, retention, and graduation rates of groups severely underrepresented in higher education, particularly men of color. Participation in UMLA is open to all BMCC students and recent alumni.
Through structured mentorship, individualized academic support services, leadership training, pipelines to higher education, and professional opportunities, UMLA aims to prepare BMCC graduates ready to address their generation’s unique challenges.
UMLA is shaping the leaders of tomorrow through various methods such as:
- Peer mentoring through the Each One Reach One program
- Opportunities for leadership, service, and employment
- Career exploration workshops and leadership conferences
- Social, cultural, and community enrichment activities throughout the academic year
- Individual tutoring programs targeted to students needing academic support
- Transfer-bridge programs to senior-colleges, and exposure to professional pipeline programs in law, medicine, STEM, and business
All programs and activities of the BMCC Urban Male Leadership Academy are open to all BMCC students, faculty, and staff, without regard to race, gender, national origin, or other characteristics.
Join UMLA and keep up-to-date with our events and offerings.