The Urban Male Leadership Academy (UMLA) is firmly committed to its goal of increasing the enrollment, retention, and graduation rates from groups that are severely underrepresented in higher education, particularly men of color. Through its focus on structured mentorship, individualized academic support services, leadership training, and developing pipelines to higher education and professional opportunities, UMLA aims to prepare BMCC graduates who are ready to address the unique challenges of their generation.
UMLA is shaping the leaders of tomorrow through various methods such as:
- Peer mentoring through the Each One Reach One program
- Individual and group staff/faculty mentoring
- Opportunities for leadership, service, and employment through the UMLA Blue Chip Program
- Career exploration workshops and leadership conferences
- Social, cultural, and community enrichment activities, such as theatre, opera, book discussions, and self-exploration workshops
- Individual tutoring programs targeted to students needing academic support
- Transfer-bridge programs to senior-colleges (Baruch, NYU, Fisk University and more), and exposure to professional pipeline programs in law, medicine, STEM, and business
*All programs and activities of the BMCC Urban Male Leadership Academy are open to all BMCC students, faculty and staff, without regard to race, gender, national origin or other characteristic.