BMCC students can maintain their status at BMCC while studying abroad with another CUNY school. Programs are available in the summer, fall, winter and spring semesters. Our students have taken advantage of many programs, including:
- Brooklyn College: China and South Korea
- College of Staten Island: Italy
- Hunter College: Spain
- John Jay College: Indonesia
- Lehman College (in partnership with Bronx CC): United Kingdom
- Queens College: France and Italy
Students may also explore programs outside of CUNY, including other colleges, universities, or study abroad providers such as CIEE. CIEE offers a wide range of programs and scholarships for students to consider (see more below).
Receiving Academic Credit
In order to receive academic credit with another CUNY study abroad program, students will need to file an ePermit application. For non-CUNY programs, students will work with the Admissions Office to determine if the course/s can be applied to their degree. Please contact the Experiential Learning and Study Abroad Manager for further instructions on these processes. If possible, please provide the syllabus of the study abroad course.
Cost and Financial Aid
Students admitted to a CUNY study abroad program can transfer financial aid to cover the cost of tuition. If students need financial aid for airfare and program fees, they must add these expenses to their FAFSA under Cost of Attendance. For winter study abroad programs, an additional loan may be requested in the fall semester to cover the program fee. For summer study abroad programs, an additional loan may be requested in the spring semester. Payments should be coordinated with the CUNY college.
For non-CUNY study abroad programs, tuition and program fees will be paid directly to the program provider. To transfer financial aid, you will need to fill out a Consortium Agreement. Please contact the Experiential Learning and Study Abroad Manager for assistance.
Hunter College Chinese Flagship: Students transferring to Hunter College may apply to be part of this rigorous program of study in Chinese language and culture. Funding for study abroad and internships in China is included.
Hunter College Global Linkage Project: Students currently at BMCC and interested in transferring to Hunter College may apply for this free, immersive Chinese language program (NY-based).
CIEE Study Abroad: CIEE offers study abroad programs for academic credit throughout the year in various countries. Students should work with BMCC’s Experiential Learning and Study Abroad Manager to confirm they will receive credit towards their degree, and to determine if they can transfer financial aid. CIEE also offers many scholarships to make their programs more affordable. Learn more below:
- Summer Study Abroad: 4-week programs that offer 1-2 courses (most taught in English); subjects include Business, Foreign Language, Health, Political Science, STEM and Environmental Studies
- January Study Abroad: 3-and-a-half-week programs offering 1 course (most taught in English); subjects include Business, Communication, Foreign Language, Health and STEM; Program fees are affordable than most at $950 (including tuition; airfare separate)
- Fall and Spring Study Abroad: airfare covered for programs in Latin America