BMCC Study Abroad Programs will expand your educational experience, foster multicultural awareness and understanding while encouraging the exchange of knowledge about global relations, economies, histories, and cultures.
In Summer 2020, BMCC faculty will take students to China, France, Mexico and Peru. Learn more about summer 2020 programs.
Studying abroad lets you:
- Earn academic credit
- Learn or practice a foreign language
- Experience a new culture
- Gain global experience
- Expand your horizons and opportunities
How Can You Make Study Abroad Happen?
- Think about the Experience You Want to Have: There are many questions to ask yourself in considering study abroad: which countries appeal to you? Would you like to learn or practice a foreign language or study in English? Which requirement could you fulfill abroad? Do you want to go abroad for a few weeks, a semester or an academic year? What’s financially feasible?
- Research Program Options: Information sessions are offered in the fall and spring semesters. You will learn about opportunities to study abroad, academic considerations, financial aid and scholarships, and how to choose a program that is best for you. You can also reach out to the Experiential Learning and Study Abroad Manager and use the website to understand the various options available to you:
- Confirm Academic Credit for Study Abroad: Once you have narrowed down your choices to two or three programs, plan to meet with your Academic and/or Major Advisor to identify the study abroad courses that will fulfill your academic requirements and help you stay on track to graduate. You should also visit the Experiential Learning and Study Abroad Manager to discuss your options for study abroad. Non-BMCC programs will require an e-Permit – see here for more information.
- Understand Cost & Financial Aid: It is important to understand the cost of study abroad early in the process. Financial aid and scholarships may be available. Make sure to attend a Scholarship Writing Workshop and check in with the Office of Financial Aid to confirm what aid is available to you based on your individual package.
- Choose a Program and Apply: The Study Abroad Application will vary by program, so make sure to read eligibility and application requirements closely. Some programs fill up quickly, so apply by the deadline! Learn more about applying to BMCC Study Abroad Programs.
- Get Ready to Go Abroad: After you are admitted to your Study Abroad Program, you will receive clear instructions on payments, pre-departure requirements and mandatory orientation dates. You will also receive guidance on the immigration process, if applicable.