Checklist for Accepted International Students
Part 1: Getting Started
- Claim your CUNYfirst Account.
If you have not done so already, visit https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu. Click the “New User” link below the login fields. Enter a your name and credentials as emailed to you by CUNY after you submitted your application. If you do no have a Social Security Number, you will instead be given a CUNY-assigned number to activate your account. This number will be emailed to you.
- Accept your Offer of Admission.
Let’s make it official! Log in to your CUNYfirst student account. View your BMCC application from the Admissions section of the Student Center. Click the “I Accept” button to confirm that you will attend BMCC for the upcoming semester.
- Pay your commitment deposit online.
Secure your seat at BMCC by paying a small portion of your tuition (about $100 USD) ahead of registration. Log in to your CUNYfirst account to pay online. If you are having difficulty paying the deposit, please contact International Admissions at email@example.com.
- Complete the CUNY English as a Second Language Diagnostic Assessment (ESLD).
Th ESLD Assessment measures your skill level at communicating in English, and your response will help determine the appropriate college-level English or English as a Second Language course you should enroll in at BMCC. All students who completed some or all of their education outside the United States, are required to submit an ESLD response. The sooner you complete the ESLD, the sooner you will be contacted by the college to register for classes. After you accept your Offer of Admission, you will receive an email from CUNY Office of Assessment with a personalized link to the online assessment. For more information about the ESLD, please visit the CUNY Testing web page. If you have questions, please contact the BMCC Testing Office.
- Apply for a BMCC Form I-20 from the International Student Services Office (ISSO).
To obtain an F-1 student visa from the United States government, you will need to present a valid I-20 issued by BMCC.
- If you are currently OUTSIDE the U.S. and applying for an F-1 visa, please review information on the F-1 visa interview process on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s “Study in the States” website.
- If you are currently INSIDE the U.S. with F-1 status and studying at another school, please review the F-1 SEVIS Transfer process in Step 5 of the BMCC I-20 instructions (linked above).
- Submit Immunization Information.
We need to know you are healthy before you can start school. Download the MMR/Meningitis immunization form. Fill it in, attach a copy of your health records, and send to Health Services. You will need to show proof of two doses of measles vaccine, one dose of mumps vaccine, and one dose of rubella vaccine. How to submit your form:
- Email copies to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop off in person at the Health Services Office in Room N-380, 199 Chambers Street
- Fax copies to +1 (212) 220-2367.
For more information, see the Health Services Office website.
- Email copies to email@example.com
Part 2: Finalizing Immigration
The International Student Services Office will notify you by email of the result of your application for a BMCC Form I-20. After you are issued an I-20 and given a SEVIS number, you can take the following steps related to your F-1 visa application:
- Pay your I-901 fee online and print the receipt.
- Apply for a visa appointment.
- Arrive in the U.S. within 30 days before your program start date:
- Fall semesters: August 1
- Spring semesters: January 1
- Attend an International Student Orientation Session. See signup details below!
Part 3: When and How to Register for Classes
After you have completed all the other steps above, continue with these steps to enroll in BMCC classes.
- Online General College Orientation
Panther GPS Orientation (or “Panther GPS,” for short) will teach you the basics you need to start college and introduce you to some of your classmates. To get started, log in to Blackboard, BMCC’s online course tool. Log in using the same username and password you use to access CUNYfirst.Once logged into Blackboard, the left-hand side of the screen should have a box that says “My Courses” and there you will see a course titled “Spring 2021 New Student Orientation | Online Panther GPS”. Click that link to gain access and start your orientation. Need assistance? Read this Guide to Blackboard for Beginners.
- Plan your semester with an academic advisor.
An academic advisor is looking forward to meeting with you to plan your classes for the upcoming semester. Watch your email inbox for an advising appointment invitation. During the coronavirus (COVID-19) health environment, all advising meetings will take place using the online video conference tool Zoom. Please see your email invitation for additional details. Please contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org, 212-220-8000.
- Register for classes in CUNYfirst.
Immediately after you talk to an advisor, you may log in to CUNYfirst to register for classes. Follow this registration tutorial to officially enroll. We have staff members who can assist you with registration. Contact any member of our “How-To Team” to receive guidance.
- Attend an International Student Orientation Session. (REQUIRED)
Spring 2021 ISSO Orientations will take place during the month of January. Please register for one orientation date.
Click a linked date above to sign up that orientation session. You will be asked to complete a short orientation questionnaire. After completing this quick step, you will receive an email from the ISSO that will include a Zoom invite for your required International Student Orientation session.
If you have questions about any of the steps above, please contact your personal Designated School Official (DSO) or the International Student Services Office (ISSO): email@example.com. We are happy to assist you!