- Claim your CUNYfirst Account.
If you have not done so already, visit https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu. Click the “New User” link below the login fields. Enter a your name and credentials as emailed to you by CUNY after you submitted your application. If you do not have a Social Security Number, you will be emailed a CUNY-assigned number to activate your account.
- Accept your Offer of Admission.
Log in to your CUNYfirst student account. View your BMCC application from the Admissions section of the Student Center. Click the “I Accept” button to confirm that you will attend BMCC for the upcoming semester.
- Pay your commitment deposit online.
Secure your place at BMCC by paying a small part of your tuition (about $100 USD) before registration. Log in to your CUNYfirst account to pay online. If you are having difficulty paying the deposit, please contact International Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the CUNY English as a Second Language Placement Exam (Accuplacer ESL test).
All students who completed some or all of their education outside the United States and who do not meet CUNY’s English proficiency requirements may be assessed for English/ESL course placement. Students required to complete English/ESL assessment will be notified via email to schedule the Accuplacer ESL test once the student accepts the offer of admission. Students only need to take the test once. The results of the test will be available to all CUNY colleges. For more information about the Accuplacer ESL exam, please visit the CUNY Testing web page. If you have questions, please contact the BMCC Testing Office.
- Apply for a BMCC Form I-20 from the International Student Services Office (ISSO).
To obtain an F-1 student visa from the United States government, you will need to present a valid I-20 issued by BMCC.
- If you are currently OUTSIDE the U.S. and applying for an F-1 visa, please review information on the F-1 visa interview process on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s “Study in the States” website.
- If you are currently INSIDE the U.S. with F-1 status and studying at another school, please review the F-1 SEVIS Transfer process in Step 5 of the BMCC I-20 instructions (linked above).
- Submit Immunization Information.
We need to know you are healthy before you can start school. Download the MMR/Meningitis immunization form. Fill it in, attach a copy of your health records, and send to Health Services. You will need to show proof of two doses of measles vaccine, one dose of mumps vaccine, and one dose of rubella vaccine. How to submit your form:
- Email copies to email@example.com
- Drop off in person at the Health Services Office in Room N-380, 199 Chambers Street
- Fax copies to +1 (212) 220-2367.
For more information, see the Health Services Office website.
- Email copies to firstname.lastname@example.org
The International Student Services Office will notify you by email of the result of your application for a BMCC Form I-20. After you are issued an I-20 and given a SEVIS number, you can take the following steps related to your F-1 visa application:
After you have completed the steps above, continue with these steps to enroll in BMCC classes.
At New Student Orientation hosted by Student Affairs, you will learn what your next steps are as a new student. We will also cover how you can be a successful college student, and all the resources, programs, and services available at BMCC.
If you have any questions, please contact New Student Programs at: email@example.com
- Plan your semester with an academic advisor.
Your academic advisor will help you plan your classes. Check your email inbox for an advising appointment invitation. During the coronavirus (COVID-19) health environment, all advising meetings will take place online using Zoom. Contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Register for classes in CUNYfirst.
After you talk to an advisor, you can log in to CUNYfirst to register for classes. Follow this registration tutorial to enroll. We have staff members who can assist you with registration. Contact any member of our “How-To Team” to receive help.
- Attend an International Student Orientation Session (required)
International Student Orientation covers information specific to F-1 international students (immigration/compliance).Register for an International Student Orientation
The Student Handbook (pdf) will be a helpful resource for you as you continue your journey at BMCC.
If you have questions about any of the steps above, please contact your Designated School Official (DSO) or the International Student Services Office (ISSO) at email@example.com. We are happy to assist you!