Checklist for Accepted International Students
Part 1: Getting Started
- Claim your CUNYfirst Account.
If you have not done so already, visit https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu. Click the “New User” link below the login fields. Enter a your name and credentials as emailed to you by CUNY after you submitted your application. If you do no have a Social Security Number, you will instead be given a CUNY-assigned number to activate your account. This number will be emailed to you.
- Accept your Offer of Admission.
Let’s make it official! Log in to your CUNYfirst student account. View your BMCC application from the Admissions section of the Student Center. Click the “I Accept” button to confirm that you will attend BMCC for the upcoming semester.
- Pay your commitment deposit online.
Secure your seat at BMCC by paying a small portion of your tuition (about $100 USD) ahead of registration. Log in to your CUNYfirst account to pay online. If you are applying for the F-1 student visa (initial F-1 student), then we recommend you pay this deposit after receiving F-1 visa approval.
- Take the CUNY Assessment Exam in Writing (CATW).
All new students educated outside the United States must take the CUNY Assessment Test in Writing (CATW) to determine English proficiency and appropriate course placement. After you accept your Offer of Admission, you will receive an email from CUNY Testing with a link to the online exam. For more information about this exam, please visit the CUNY Testing website.
- Apply for a BMCC Form I-20 from the International Student Services Office (ISSO).
To obtain an F-1 student visa from the United States government, you will need to present a valid Form I-20 issued by BMCC.
- If you are currently OUTSIDE the U.S. and applying for an F-1 visa, please review information on the F-1 visa interview process on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s “Study in the States” website.
- If you are INSIDE the U.S. with F-1 status and studying at another school, please review the F-1 SEVIS Transfer process on pages 13-14 of the BMCC I-20 application (linked above).
- Submit Immunization Information.
We need to know you are healthy before you can start school. Download the MMR/Meningitis immunization form. Fill it in, attach a copy of your health records, and send to Health Services. You will need to show proof of two doses of measles vaccine, one dose of mumps vaccine, and one dose of rubella vaccine. How to submit your form:
- Email copies to email@example.com
- Drop off in person at the Health Services Office in Room N-380, 199 Chambers Street
- Fax copies to +1 (212) 220-2367.
For more information, see the Health Services Office website.
- Email copies to firstname.lastname@example.org
Part 2: Finalizing Immigration
The International Student Services Office will notify you by email of the result of your application for a BMCC Form I-20. After you are issued an I-20 and given a SEVIS number, you can take the following steps related to your F-1 visa application:
- Pay your I-901 fee online and print the receipt.
- Apply for a visa appointment.
- Arrive in the U.S. within 30 days before your program start date:
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: January 1
- Attend an International Student Orientation Session. See signup details below!
Part 3: When and How to Register for Classes
After you have completed all the other steps above, continue with these steps to enroll in BMCC classes.
- Meet the Panther Family: General College Orientation.
Learn the basics of college in a quick video tutorial. Join a weekly Zoom hangout to meet your future classmates, and maybe win some cool prizes! To get started, complete this short questionnaire.
- Plan your semester with an academic advisor.
An academic advisor is looking forward to meeting with you to plan your classes for the upcoming semester. Watch your email inbox for an advising appointment invitation. During the coronavirus (COVID-19) health environment, all advising meetings will take place using the online video conference tool Zoom. Please see your email invitation for additional details. Please contact the Academic Advising and Transfer Center with questions: email@example.com, 212-220-8000.
- Register for classes in CUNYfirst.
Immediately after you talk to an advisor, you may log in to CUNYfirst to register for classes. Follow this registration tutorial to officially enroll. We have staff members who can assist you with registration. Contact any member of our “How-To Team” to receive guidance.
- Attend an International Student Orientation Session.
Spring 2021 International Student Orientations will take place during the month of January. Dates and RSVP information will be announced soon.
If you have questions about any of the steps above, please contact your personal Designated School Official (DSO) or the International Student Services Office (ISSO): firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to assist you!