The A.A. in Modern Languages with a specialization in Spanish Translation for the Health, Legal, and Business Professions prepares students for an in-demand and fast-growing profession, including such career paths as:
- Legal interpreter in the court system
- Medical interpreter at hospitals, clinics, and doctors’ private practice
- Translators, interpreters, project managers, editors, copy editors, proofreaders, and subtitling specialists for translation agencies
- Translator and interpreter for global corporations and financial institutions
- Translator and interpreter for government and international development institutions
- Translator and editor for publishing companies
- Cultural consultant for multicultural advertising and marketing agencies and news media
Students enrolled in our translation course will also receive practical training using memoQ, a widely used translation environment, used by businesses, translation companies and individual translators all over the world.
BMCC is committed to students’ long-term success and will help you explore professional opportunities. Undecided? No problem. The college offers Career Coach for salary and employment information, job postings and a self-discovery assessment to help students find their academic and career paths. Visit Career Express to make an appointment with an advisor, search for jobs or sign-up for professional development activities with the Center for Career Development. Students can also visit the Office of Internships and Experiential Learning to gain real world experience in preparation for a four-year degree and beyond. These opportunities are available to help BMCC students build a foundation for future success.
Modern Languages: Spanish Translation and Interpretation Academic Program Maps
Required Common Core
- No more than two courses in any discipline or interdisciplinary field can be used to satisfy the Flexible Common Core requirements.
- Choose 15 credits from all TRS courses. TRS 345 must be taken.
- Choose 9 credits from HED 110, AFL 161, CRJ 101, BUS 104, BUS 110, any LIN course, any TRS course, or any SPN courses 300-level or above.
Please note, these requirements are effective the 2022-2023 catalog year. Please check your DegreeWorks account for your specific degree requirements as when you began at BMCC will determine your program requirements.