In-person tutoring is offered in various subjects to students in rooms S-510 (199 Chambers Street) and F511 (Fiterman Hall). To see which subjects are offered in-person and online, please click here. In addition to tutoring, the LRC also offers the following in-person services:
- Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) a learning assistance program designed to increase student retention through collaborative learning techniques. The main format of PAL is small group tutoring consisting of a PAL leader (Learning Assistant) and a maximum of five students per session hour.
- Study Skills Workshops in test-taking skills, note-taking skills, procrastination and common study problems.
- Instructional Computer Labs services that support course-specific software and instructional software.
- Academic Coaching consists of personalized, one-on-one meetings with an academic coach that will help students identify their academic challenges, refine their study skills, and improve their academic performance.
To inquire about receiving tutoring come to the Learning Resource Center Reception Desk in S-510, or call (212) 220-1383 for more information.
Please be sure to have your student ID and your schedule available. We will make every effort to accommodate specific requests, but appointments are subject to tutor availability.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Learning Resource Center offers several tutorial services:
- Scheduling a weekly appointment
- Walk-In Tutoring
- Instructional Computer Services
- Online Tutoring
- If you are having difficulty understanding lectures.
- If you want help with study skills.
- If you want help preparing for a test.
- If you are having difficulty with homework assignments.
- If you want to get a better understanding of class material.
- To maintain a high GPA.
- Respect and patience.
- Concerted effort to help you understand difficult material.
- Help with study skills.
- Strong knowledge of the subject area you are being tutored in.
- Ability to help identify learning obstacles and find ways to overcome them.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to model good student behaviors.
- Your Homework
You need to have attempted your homework assignment before coming to tutoring. Make a note of the concepts with which you are struggling with. You and your tutor can then review these concepts and work through similar problems. The tutor cannot help you do your homework.
- Rescue You
Nothing takes the place of consistent hard work throughout the semester. If you fail to do this, showing up for tutoring a week before final exams will not help. Tutors cannot help you recover from a semester of slacking off. You should come to tutoring at the first sign of problems. Waiting will only get you further behind.
- Take Responsibility for Your Learning
Tutors can help you learn, but they are not responsible for your learning. You will have to attend class regularly, participate in class, do your homework assignments, read your textbook and develop a relationship with your instructor. Nothing takes the place of consistent hard work throughout the semester.
- Have all the Answers to Every Question
LRC tutors are well trained and knowledgeable in the subject that they tutor, but they cannot be expected to know everything. However, you can expect them to model the steps successful student would use to find solutions.
- Your textbook, past tests, in-class assignments and past writing assignments.
- Your homework assignment with a list of concepts you are having difficulty understanding.
- Your date planner or calendar.
- A positive attitude.
Tutoring for ENG 088 and 095 is available at the Basic Skills English Lab.
Phone: (212) 220-8295
For more information visit the Basic Skills English Lab website. (ENG 088 and 095 tutoring is also available live online and via e-mail)
Nursing tutoring is available in the Nursing Skills Lab
For more information visit the Nursing Skills Lab website. Nursing tutoring is also available online.
The Reading Lab offers tutoring for students taking ACR 094 or 095 classes.
For more information visit the Academic Literacy and Linguistics website. (ENG 088 and 095 tutoring is also available online.