Academic coaching consists of personalized, one-on-one meetings with an academic coach that will help students identify their academic challenges, refine their study skills, and improve their academic performance.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with a coach, please feel free to email us or use the link below.
- An academic coach will meet with interested students as well as those referred by an academic professional to assess their area and level of need.
- The academic coach will develop an academic plan in collaboration with students to help guide them to achieve their academic goals.
- An academic coach may also recommend an in-person workshop or tutoring.
Academic coaches work with all registered BMCC students. We do, however, focus on students that have been identified through the Connect2Success Program as well as students who have been placed on academic notice.
- Students can expect to learn new, or build upon existing, academic skills that will ultimately help them succeed in their courses.
- Students should expect to be asked questions to assess their current academic performance. Students may be asked to complete an intake form.
- Students can also expect to be referred to other support services on campus. Referrals include academic advisement, tutoring, counseling, etc.
- Appointments are conducted in a safe and confidential space. Students are expected to be honest and forthcoming with their current academic performance.
- Students are expected to bring their class syllabi, provide feedback about the recommendations and workshops facilitated as well as comments from their professor(s).
- Students are responsible for keeping their appointments and must reschedule any missed meetings.
- It is recommended that students meet with a coach a minimum of three times per semester in order to follow up on their academic plans.
Academic Coaches provides 60-minute virtual workshops to help students develop the skills they need to reach their academic goals. The coaches also provide students with information about the resources that can support them.
Study Skills Success Workshops
- Believe and Achieve: Build Your Confidence as a Student
- How to Recover from a Bad Grade
- LRC Orientation Overview
- Preventing and Overcoming Burnout
- Prioritize like a Pro
- Study Smarter, Not Harder
- Syllabus Secrets
- Understanding Your Role as a Community College Student
For information regarding workshop offerings and registration please click on this link: https://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/students/lrc/lab-services/workshops/
Online Hours of Operation
Academic coaching is available in the Learning Resource Center, located at 199 Chambers St., Room S-510. You can also find academic coaches inside the Group Study Room on the 4th floor, Room S-430M.
Monday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Tuesday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Thursday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.