B-81 Form / Certificate of Residence

Students who reside in New York State, but not in New York City, must obtain a Certificate of Residence (Form B-81) from their home county and remit it to the Bursar’s Office as a condition of registration and billing at the in-city rate of tuition.

Please note that a Certificate of Residence may not be issued earlier than two months prior to the start of classes for the semester.  Upon registration for the semester, the certificate remains valid for one year or as stipulated by the county.

The Certificate of Residence (Form B-81) must be received at the Bursar NO LATER THAN THE FIRST DAY OF CLASSES.  Depending on the county in which you reside, please follow one of the two steps below.

A. For residents of all New York State counties except Nassau County residents (Nassau residents should follow step B below):

  1. Complete the County Certificate APPLICATION (Form B-80) for a Certificate of Residence.
  2. Have it notarized.
  3. Present the notarized application (Form B-80), plus two items of proof of residency* to your local county clerk. The clerk will issue you a B-81.
  4. Bring the B-81 issued by the county clerk to the Bursar’s Office NO LATER THAN THE FIRST DAY OF CLASSES.

B. For all Nassau County Residents only (all other counties should follow step A above):

  1. The quickest and easiest way to apply for your Nassau County certificate of residence is online at:  http://app.nassaucountyny.gov/cor/
  2. If you cannot apply online, complete the Nassau County Certificate application (Nassau County Form B-80)

The above link will take you to an external website. Be sure to follow all instructions completely.Important: It’s your responsibility to make sure that a valid Certificate of Residence is on file.

*Nassau county may have its own residency requirements and conditions that could impact your ability to receive Borough Of Manhattan’ NYC tuition rate. Please check with your county Treasurer’s Office for complete information.

*Two (2) of the following items are required to submit proof of residency to your county

  • Lease, deed, or if not available, a letter from a landlord on that landlord’s letterhead indicating dates of tenancy and rent paid.
  • Any envelope mailed to you, postmarked less than 6 months, proving that you still reside at this address.
  • A copy of prior year’s New York State tax returns.
  • Homeowner’s or Renter’s Insurance Policy.
  • Automobile Registration Certificate/Driver’s License.
  • Voter Registration Card within one (1) year.
  • Selective Service card within (1) year.
  • Telephone or utility bill (not in care of third party or post office box).
  • If residing with parent, any of the above proofs showing parent/student residence, along with a notarized letter signed by parent stating that student is now and has been, for a period of one (1) year, living with that parent.