Counseling provides a safe space for students to explore difficulties and understand what is keeping them from achieving their goals. Counselors help students talk about their concerns and work toward removing the obstacles that keep them from reaching their goals.
If a counselor determines that a student’s needs require resources beyond what the Center can provide, they will assist with a referral to an appropriate mental health provider or agency.
Some of the services counselors provide are:
The BMCC Counseling Center is committed to providing professional counseling for students on an individual basis. Students can discuss personal and academic issues. Counselors are available to provide guidance, assistance, and support. To make an appointment call or stop by the Center.
Some examples of possible counseling issues:
- “Balancing work, school, and family has become too hard to manage.”
- “I’ve been depressed for a while. I have no one to talk to and I just don’t know what to do.”
- “I feel like I might be drinking more than I should.”
- “My worrying is so out of control that it is hard for me to concentrate in class or make friends.”
- “I’m on academic probation and I didn’t do well on my midterms. I’m worried about what’s going to happen.”
A situation is considered a crisis if a student has expressed that he or she might be a danger to themselves or someone else. In a crisis situation, students will receive immediate assistance. Counselors are always available during business hours to see a student in crisis. After business hours, call our main number (212-220-8140) and press “2.”
Some examples of crisis situations:
- “I’m having thoughts that things would be better if I weren’t here.”
- “I’m worried about losing control of my anger and hurting someone.”
If you think you are in crisis, please stop by the Counseling Center as soon as possible. Faculty and staff please read more information about how to refer a student.
Counseling services are available in Hindi, Punjabi, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese.
All sessions are confidential.