Establishing New York Residency For Tuition Purposes

To qualify for New York City tuition rates, students must have completed one year of residency in New York City prior to the first day of classes, and must not be on a temporary visa--the student must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee/Asylum granted (I-94 card) or in a non-immigrant status that qualifies for the resident rate.

How To Apply For New York State Residency Status For Tuition Billing Purposes

To show proof of residency submit a completed application and supporting documentation to the Admissions Office (S300). Please attach copies of your documentation and any additional information pertinent to our application. Originals will not be accepted. All applications and supporting documentation must be submitted prior to the last day of the semester. No Residency forms will be accepted after the end of the semester for which the student is applying for a determination.

Download the residency form and bring the application along with the supporting documentation to:
Admissions Office Borough of Manhattan Community College 199 Chambers Street, Room S300 New York, NY 10007

Living Outside The Boroughs
If you live in New York State but outside of the five (5) boroughs of New York City (Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island), you will need to visit your County Clerk's office to obtain a B-81 form then present it to the Bursar's Office at BMCC in room S320.
How do I obtain a B-81?

Need Help?

If you have any questions about completing your application, please call (212) 220-8000, to speak with a staff member in the Admissions Office. Residency Appeals If the student wishes to appeal a negative residency determination, he/she must notify the Registrar’s Office (or other designated college appeal office) within ten days of notification that he/she has been determined to be a non-resident. More about filing an appeal.

Download the Residency form

  • BMCC logo
The City University of New York

Borough of Manhattan Community College
The City University of New York
199 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007
212-220-8000 | Directory

Text Only Version|Make this web site talk