All Mentor applicants should have:
- Attended BMCC for at least a semester and earned 12 BMCC credits
- Completed all developmental/remedial courses at the time serving as Peer Mentor
- A Minimum BMCC GPA of 3.0
- Willingness to make a semester-long commitment to fulfilling the program expectations.
- Time to engage in mentoring activities and events (as scheduled) and to maintain regular contact with their mentees
- Desire to foster personal growth in themselves and in others: to develop and reflect on their goals, reach out to others, and to encourage and motivate them to do the same
- Ability to share ideas and personal experiences effectively and a willingness to serve as a role model
- Appreciation for diversity and an open-mind when working with others
- Mentors and mentees will attend at least one program event per month to remain active in the program.
- Mentors and mentees ”connect” for a minimum of two hours per week (as scheduled in their own time):
- They meet once a week in person to “check in” and stay on course, or attend a campus activity together. (Meetings are on your own schedule).
- They are also in regular contact, and communicate openly each week via email, phone, Skype or other social media.
- Mentors will complete weekly journal logs to chronicle their experiences in the program.
- Mentors will meet with the Program Coordinator twice each semester: once for their initial interview, and once at mid-semester.
- Mentors must attend all training sessions and the first meeting of the semester with their mentee- the keynote event, which is usually held the first week of classes.
- Mentors must also assist at three GPS (Getting Prepared to Start) days for new students each registration cycle, as their individual schedule permits.