Peer mentors are not tutors, counselors or advisers, but they can guide students to the appropriate resources on campus. Mentors provide information, support and guidance to new students (mentees) while they work toward achieving their college goals.
All the mentors in the IMPACT Peer Mentor Program are specially trained to be effective resource people, with good communication and leadership skills and the ability to promote positive academic behaviors and life skills. They:
- Are trained to work with their mentees to develop personal and academic skills to assist in their degree completion at BMCC.
- Become familiar with the various resources available to students on campus.
- Learn how to develop healthy and comfortable mentoring relationships.
- Meet with mentees weekly.
- Improve their communication skills.
- Make a difference in the BMCC community.