BMCC employees and students can opt to update or change their given name (first and/or middle name only) to their preferred name as well as update or change their gender identity and pronouns. No documentation is needed to update a preferred name or preferred gender identity. You can also request a new BMCC ID card and/or email address reflecting the updated information.
To File a Complaint
To file a complaint of unlawful discrimination or harassment on any protected status, including sexual harassment and gender identity discrimination, or for general questions, please contact the Office of Compliance and Diversity.
Do you have a preferred name and/or preferred gender identity?
- Employees and students can select their preferred name (first and/or middle) as well as their preferred gender identity.
- A preferred name is not a legal name, but it is how the individual requests to be addressed.
- No documentation is needed to update a preferred name or preferred gender identity.
- You can also request a new BMCC ID card and/or email address reflecting the updated information.
- See detailed instructions for students and faculty and staff.
Restrooms and locker rooms
- In compliance with the law and CUNY policy, discrimination based on gender identity and gender expression is prohibited.
- Individuals have the right to use the bathroom or locker room consistent with their gender identity. Gender identity is fluid and is defined by the individual.
- Single occupancy/gender-neutral bathroom facilities are also available on 3 South, 4 North, and the lower level of Theater 1 in the Chambers Street building, and on the 3rd floor of the Murray Street building.
- Everyone is welcome to use these facilities.