Panther Partners is a cohort experience program serving first-generation students at BMCC. The program provides support through mentorship/partnership, workshops, activities, special events, and community.
BMCC is dedicated to support and serve any student who self-identifies as a first-generation college student. A vital part of the Panther Partners program/community is the support of faculty, staff, and administrators, many of whom are first-generation college graduates themselves.
What does it mean to be a First-Generation College Student?
First-generation college students come from families where neither parent or guardian has a two-year or higher degree from a college, university or other institution of higher education in the United States. Some students’ parents or guardians may have completed a degree in a country outside of the U.S.A. These students are still considered first-generation college students at BMCC and are welcome to apply to the program.
What are the benefits of being a Panther Partner?
- Students are partnered with a professional BMCC staff or faculty member (Panther Coach), who in most cases is also the first in their family to attend college
- Opportunity to receive a tuition grant for one summer and/or winter course based on program participation
- Various incentives for completing program milestones (e.g. Metrocards, t-shirts, etc.)
- Receive exclusive invitations to attend workshops and events designed for the first-generation students
- Become a member of the Panther Partner community of over 400+ first-generation students and professionals at BMCC
- Direct referral to apply to the America Needs You (ANY) Partners Program after completion of one semester as a Panther Partner
Who is eligible to participate in the program?
Registered first-year BMCC students who self-identify as first-generation college students are eligible for the program. Participants of the program are selected through an application process.
Please note: To support as many first-generation college students as possible, students enrolled in the following programs will not be accepted into the Panther Partners Program: Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP), BMCC Learning Academy (BLA), College Discovery (CD), CUNYStart or Degree Under Three (DU3). This is to ensure that every first-generation college student at BMCC has the opportunity to engage in at least one cohort experience/program.