To obtain a degree or certificate from the Borough of Manhattan Community College, an application for graduation is required. Students in their final term or when coursework has been completed must submit an Application for Graduation. If all requirements are not met by the end of the final term of attendance, the student must reapply for graduation in order to be considered for a subsequent term.
Effective Spring 2014, students will apply for graduation only via CUNYfirst Self Service. The first day to apply for graduation is the first day of early registration for the term, and the last day to apply for graduation is posted on our Academic Calendar which is approximately the end of 4th week of classes in fall and spring terms.
Please consult the Academic Calendar for the first and the last date to apply for graduation for a given term.
To be eligible for graduation from BMCC, you must:
- Successfully complete all the required courses and credits in your program of study.*
- Earn at least a 2.0 GPA.
- Complete at least 30 credits in residence if you are an advanced standing or second-degree student.
- Pass a Writing Intensive Course** beyond ENG 201 in order to graduate.
- Apply for Graduation.
*Graduation requirements are subject to change without notice any time at the discretion of the administration and the Board of Trustees of the City University of New York.
**Students who began prior to Spring 2008 are exempt from the Writing Intensive requirement in order to graduate.
Applying for Graduation
Login to CUNYfirst, select Student Center → Graduation → Apply for Graduation → click on the Apply for Graduation link for the academic program you intend to complete at end of the term.
From the Expected Graduation Term dropdown menu, select the term you intend to complete your requirements (i.e. 2022 Fall). Select continue to verify data and then click “Submit Application”. Afterwards, will receive a message that you have successfully applied for graduation.
For more detailed instructions with screenshots of the process in CUNYFirst, check out our walkthrough.
If you meet the graduation requirements but the Apply for Graduation option is not available for you in CUNYFirst, please contact the Graduation Team at Graduation@bmcc.cuny.edu.
Viewing Graduation Status
Students will be able to view their graduation status in the same section of CUNYFirst where they submitted the graduation application. By accessing CUNYfirst by using the following navigation: Login to CUNYfirst, select Student Center → Graduation → View Graduation Status
Graduation Evaluation Process
After you have applied for graduation, an evaluation will be performed to determine if you have met the degree requirements. Notification will be sent to your Preferred Email (as listed in CUNYFirst) within approximately 4-6 weeks. Graduation evaluations are done 3 times during the term:
- Initial evaluation: Performed after student submits graduation application.
- Secondary evaluation: Performed during the withdrawal period to determine if student remains eligible for graduation.
- Final evaluation: Performed after all grades and other end of term processing is completed.
There are eight types of graduation statuses:
- Eligible to Apply– Based on the total number of credits completed so far, CUNYfirst has determined the student is eligible to submit an Application for Graduation online. If you do not see the Apply for Graduation option but meet the graduation requirements stated above, please contact the Graduation Team at Graduation@bmcc.cuny.edu.
- Applied for Graduation– The Application for Graduation has been received by the Office of the Registrar and is currently on queue for review.
- Program in Review – The Application for Graduation is currently being reviewed by the Registrar. Once the review is complete a new status will be assigned.
- Need to Finish Pending Work– The Application for Graduation has been reviewed by the Office of the Registrar, but further action is required from the student before the request can be approved. Details on what this further action requires will be listed in the notification email sent to the student. Students are also welcomed to contact the Graduation Team for details at Graduation@bmcc.cuny.edu.
- Approved– Everything is in order. The Application for Graduation has been reviewed by the Office of the Registrar and the student has been placed on the potential graduate list.
- Denied– The Application for Graduation has been reviewed by the Office of the Registrar and the student does not meet the requirements for graduation.
- Withdrawn– The Application for Graduation was submitted, but then removed at the request of the student. This requires that the student contact Graduation@bmcc.cuny.edu and submit a Graduation Withdrawal Form.
- Degree Awarded– Degree has been officially awarded. Students will receive a notification email once their degree has been officially awarded in CUNYFirst.
The Commencement Ceremony is held once a year in late May or early June. It is for students who have graduated in the previous Summer/Fall terms and Winter session as well as candidates for the upcoming Spring term. For example, the 2022 Commencement Ceremony included graduates from Summer 2021 through Winter 2022, and potential graduates with an application under review for Spring 2022. A link to the Commencement webpage will be posted on the main BMCC website typically 4-6 weeks before the ceremony.
Please be advised that the process described below applies to students who graduated Fall 2021 to present. Graduates from Summer 2021 and earlier should contact Graduation@bmcc.cuny.edu for assistance with retrieving their diploma from campus storage if they have not already picked it up.
When approved graduation applicants receive their notification email from the graduation team that their degree has been awarded, they will also receive a link to a survey. This survey will ask how they want their name to appear on their diploma (first and last name must appear the same as listed in CUNYFirst and can only be changed with a Change of Personal Information form). The survey will also ask their preferences for how they wish to receive their diploma. All graduates will be sent a digital version of their diploma, but students can select if they wish to have a paper diploma sent to them and to which address they would like the diploma sent. Please be advised that any holds that would prevent the issuance of a transcripts will also prevent the diploma from being sent out (Bursar, Collections, Financial Aid Exit Interview, etc.). Once the digital diploma is ready for students, they will receive an email from the BMCC Graduation team as well as Parchment, inviting them to make an account on the Parchment website. This website can be used to access their digital diploma as well as view the shipping process of their paper diploma if they chose to have one shipped. For more information about the diploma distribution process, please check the Diploma FAQ.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I have 60 credits, am I ready to graduate?
The majority of students are very close to graduation when they reach 60 credits. You can check your status on Degree Works (Advisement Audit) through CUNYFirst or checking with your Academic Advisor.
- Can I get a letter verifying that I graduated?
After your degree is posted on your transcript and in CUNYFirst, you can contact Graduation@bmcc.cuny.edu to request an Enrollment Verification letter and choose “Earned Degree” to appear on the letter.
- Can I have my transcript held until the degree is posted?
If you want your transcript request to be held until the degree is posted, be sure to specify that when making your request. All obligations, whether academic and/or financial, must be cleared before your records will be released.
- What if I need to change my name on my diploma?
Once you have graduated, your records are officially sealed. You will have to officially change your name with the Registrar’s Office before the end of the semester. A link to the Change of Personal Information form can be found on the Registrar webpage under the Student Forms section.
- How can I order a duplicate diploma?
You can order a duplicate diploma online at the following link: https://www.parchment.com/u/registration/33523/institution.
- Can I still take a class after I graduate?
Yes, you can attend BMCC as a Non-Degree or Second-Degree student. You can contact the Admissions Office (Admissions@bmcc.cuny.edu) after your last semester.
- Can I receive a grade change after graduation?
No. Once a student has been granted a degree, grade changes for courses taken in semesters prior to receiving the degree are not permitted. If any student expects to receive a grade change, please notify the Graduation Team in the Office of the Registrar immediately at Graduation@bmcc.cuny.edu.
- What happens if I miss the Graduation Application Deadline for my final semester?
If you happen to miss the deadline to apply for graduation during your final semester of classes, you will need to apply for graduation in the next available semester. You do not need to be enrolled for that semester in order to be awarded your degree, and can even transfer to another college in the meantime should you wish to do so. We award degrees five times per year (Summer 1, Summer 2, Fall, Winter, and Spring), so there will almost always be a semester open that you can apply for in CUNYFirst. If you find that you are not able to submit an application in CUNYFirst, please email Graduation@Bmcc.cuny.edu for assistance.