BMCC is proud to be an international campus, with our students representing more than 150 countries.
Transcripts from non-U.S. countries must be translated into English and evaluated for equivalency with U.S. education standards before the BMCC Office of Admissions can use them to make a decision on your application for admission. Please review CUNY’S How To Apply Web Page For Students Educated Outside The United States.
Option 1: Send your transcript to CUNY’s University Application Processing Center (UAPC)
CUNY’s central office has staff members who can evaluate your transcript for U.S.-equivalency free of charge if you supply both the original transcript and a word-for-word English translation of the document (Please refer to the CUNY Document Translation Guidelines to learn more about English translation requirements). This process normally takes 6-8 weeks, but please note that it can take longer.
Secondary School Transcripts
You will need to submit a copy of your complete academic record (all years), as well as any national or government certificates earned. Secondary School documents can be uploaded onto your CUNY application or in certain cases (ie. WAEC) where we require additional information, they can be sent to email@example.com. Please review the list of Required Secondary School Credentials for more information.
Official University Transcripts
If you’ve attended university, you’ll need to request an official transcript from each university in order to be considered for admission. Please review the official transcript section on CUNY’s website before submitting documents. They can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Option 2: Using a private evaluation service for your transcript
Send your transcript to an approved private evaluation service, accredited by NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services).
Evaluations completed by outside agencies are often faster than those completed by CUNY, but these agencies are not free. The agency will charge you for its services. However, this could be a good option for you if:
- the suggested submission date has passed, or
- you wish to get an Admissions decision sooner than eight weeks
What to request from an evaluation agency
- Secondary School Transcripts: an official course-by-course evaluation report which includes a GPA based on all secondary school course work and any external examination certificates earned.
- Official Post-Secondary/University/College Transcripts: an official course-by-course evaluation report which includes a GPA based on all university course work.
Be sure to request that the evaluation service includes certified copies of all documentation used for the evaluation.
CUNY recommends the following agencies for translation and evaluation:
- SpanTran: The Evaluation Company: this is an agency located in NYC that offers walk-in services and has a custom application for BMCC.
- Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc
- Foreign Credentials Service of America
- International Education Evaluations, LLC
- Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., International Education Consultants
- Transcript Research
- World Education Services, Inc.
BMCC also accepts transcripts evaluated by any NACES-affiliated agency.
For more guidance on evaluations by outside agencies, please visit CUNY’s How to Apply web page.