CUNY EDGE (EDUCATE, DEVELOP, GRADUATE and EMPOWER) Program formerly known as COPE, is an initiative implemented by the City University of New York and the Human Resources Administration (commonly referred to as HRA.) The goal is to support the specific needs of students who are receiving government assistance and are pursuing an undergraduate degree.
CUNY EDGE balances academic advising and personal support with career/employment readiness, leadership development, and community engagement while maintaining students’ compliance with HRA regulations. Our program integrates elements of successful college completion programs with work opportunities, personal development, and academic excellence. It is a pioneering effort to show that by addressing key academic, social, and financial barriers, students can focus on what matters most while they are in college – their education.
VISION: CUNY EDGE envisions a world in which all people have access to the educational opportunities and support they need to realize academic success, a sustainable career, and a brighter future. We commit to contributing to this vision.
MISSION: Our mission is to help CUNY students who are receiving public assistance achieve academic excellence, graduate on time, and find employment.
The vision and mission of the program are demonstrated in our core activities.
- Offers ongoing academic, personal, and career planning advisement
- Presents a comprehensive personal and professional development seminar series to assist students with study skills-building, problem-solving, career development, and self- advocacy
- Provides career readiness services
- Connects students to internship, HRA work study, and job opportunities
- Promotes a culture of academic excellence by offering tutoring services and limited tuition support for intersession and summer classes
- Collaborates more closely with campus offices and programs including CUNY Start, ASAP, advising offices, career services, HRA Work Study sites, and Single Stop to get students the help they need
- Helps students remain compliant with all HRA rules and regulations