The Multimedia Programming and Design Program prepares students for careers in a variety of “multimedia industries”, companies and institutions that develop, produce or market multimedia products, programs or services. The program instructs students in the design and programming of computer-based interactive products that incorporate text, graphics, sound,animation and video. It also develops different types of talent, both creative and technical,with the imperative that each understands the work of the other so that they can collaborate effectively. Students must complete a specialization in multimedia programming, art and design or video production in addition to the general and core requirements.
Upon successful completion of the curriculum,students are awarded an Associate in Science degree (A.S.) and may transfer to senior institutions such as York, NYU or New York City Technical College.
MEA studies can lead students to positions in the film and television industry, electronic journalism, web design and development, audiovisual production, advertising design, game design, audio design, animation, and the entertainment industry.
BMCC has articulation agreements with CUNY NYC College of Technology to allow you to seamlessly continue your education there without any loss of credits.
Academic Program Maps
- Multimedia Programming and Design Program 2 Year Plan (2018-2019)
- Multimedia Programming and Design Program 3 Year Plan (2018-2019)
Required Common Core
- This image-based course will introduce graphic design as the foundation upon which effective visual communication is built. Investigation of the elements and principles of graphic design will lead to specific design problems and their solution. The development of ideas and the ability to communicate them effectively will be covered. Discussion of both vector and bitmap-based digital graphic platforms will begin progress toward industry-standard computer proficiency.
- Building on the principles learned in introduction to multimedia, students will learn to manipulate graphics and text in more sophisticated ways for use in print layout as well as multimedia. An emphasis will be placed on design concepts for the creation of pages.
Prerequisite: MMP 100
- Students will work collaboratively to plan, design and create a complete project to be stored on a CD ROM. Projects may be drawn from such applications as: information kiosks; computer-assisted instruction; and creation of world wide web sites.
Prerequisites: MMP 200, MMP 210, and MMP 350 or MMP 200 and MMP 320
1. No more than two courses in any discipline or interdisciplinary field can be used to satisfy Flexible Core requirements.
2. Students are required to take MMP 100.
3. These credits can be satisfied by taking STEM variants in the Common Core.
Please note, these requirements are effective the 2017-2018 catalog year. Please check your DegreeWorks account for your specific degree requirements as when you began at BMCC will determine your program requirements.