Start Spring your way!
Sometimes it’s better to start late than never. Just because you didn’t enroll at the beginning of the semester doesn’t mean that all is lost. There’s still time to get the classes you need and the schedule you want. Take 8-week Spring Express classes to shorten the time to earn your degree.
Registration for Spring Express begins February 5.
Frequently Asked Questions
For Students For Faculty/Staff
1. Why are we offering a new 8-week session?
- BMCC’s new 8-week session allows greater flexibility to start later in the term and avoid missing invaluable class time. With everything going on in your life right now, you deserve more options! (you’re welcome)
- If you need an extra course or two to bring you to full-time status, take advantage of this opportunity. Check out our course selections for the 8-week Spring Express!
2. What will be offered?
In addition to the regular spring 15-week session (Spring 1), we are offering a late start session (Spring 2) in Spring of 2021. Here’s your chance to complete more credits and get closer to earning your degree by enrolling in this 8-week session that begins on March 19 and ends on May 20.
3. Who can enroll in spring express classes?
Spring express is ideal for new students, students who had to drop a course in Spring 1 and need an extra class to maintain full-time status, or returning students desiring shorter and more flexible course offerings. Also, this new session will provide options for students needing extra time to complete an academic appeal and still enroll in the spring term.
4. How do I register for these classes?
Registration for “Spring 2” courses opens February 5. You may need to take steps to get ready, depending on your student status:
- Continuing students: Register through CUNYfirst. Speaking to your academic advisor is highly encouraged!
- New students not yet enrolled (first semester at BMCC): Speak with an academic advisor to see if this is the right start for you.
- Students who want to re-enroll: If you attended BMCC in the past and want to come back to take Spring Express classes, please apply for readmission for Spring 2021.
5. What type of courses will be offered?
This unique 8-week session offers high demand entry-level courses from most academic areas (no science courses will be offered).
Here is a listing of the courses that will be offered on a limited basis:
CRT 100, 100.5, 100.6
LIN 100, 250
ENG 101, 201, 311
ESL 94, 95, 96
ASN 111, 114
LAT 125, 131, 150
MAT 104, 150, 150.5, 161
SPN 105, 107
SPE 100, SPE 102
6. How many credits can students take?
Spring 1 + Spring 2 <= 18 credits
Winter + Spring 1 + Spring 2 <= 22 credits
Yes, you can enroll in a combined credit total of 22 credits for Winter, Spring 1 and Spring 2. You have the option to take 4 credits in the Winter and up to 18 credits in Spring 1 and Spring 2. Keep in mind that because of the shorter term, you can only take up to 9 credits in Spring 2.
7. What if a student has a W from a course taken in Spring 1. Can they retake the course in Spring 2?
Yes, a student can retake the course in Spring 2, but the student must contact the Registrar’s Office at email@example.com as the student will need to be manually enrolled. The Panther Station staff can also manually register students in repeated courses for Spring 2 by using the override “Class Links”.
8. When will students be able to register for Spring 2?
Students will be able to register beginning February 5, 2021.
9. Will an 8-week session be offered in the fall?
We are always looking for ways to develop and enhance our services for students. We will evaluate the success of the Spring Express session to determine the possibility of offering an additional 8-week session in the fall.
10. Will waitlisted students from Spring 1 have first opportunity of available seats in Spring 2?
No. Students on waitlists for Spring 1 courses will not be automatically enrolled in Spring 2 courses.
11. What does this mean for my financial aid if I take credits in multiple terms in the Spring Semester?
BMCC’s Spring 2 session is considered part of the spring term. You may be eligible to receive PELL for attending the Spring 2 session.
12. If I have an ADV hold released for Spring 1 do I need to get advised again to register for Spring 2?
You will be able to enroll in the Spring 2 session if your advisement hold from Spring 1 is released, however, we strongly suggest that you consult with your academic or faculty advisor to make sure the course(s) taken in the session counts toward your degree completion.
13. If a financial hold has been lifted for Spring 1 will the financial hold also be lifted for the Spring 2 term?
Yes, once the hold has been removed it is removed for the Spring 2.
14. How often do classes meet? Is it like summer where they meet 4 days a week?
At the current time, the courses meet a maximum of 2/week. Courses are scheduled as asynchronous, online synchronous hybrid, or online synchronous where the time has been extended.
15. Financial aid limit/tap – Will Spring 2 count toward full-time for BOTH Pell and TAP?
Yes, Spring 2 will count towards TAP eligibility as long as the student is full time and taking courses towards their major.
16. Will Spring Express affect TAP? If so, how?
No, Spring Express will not affect TAP. TAP is based off the enrollment from the regular semester start.
17. Will there be any in person element for International students who need in person classes?
We currently have 1 hybrid in-person scheduled in the 8-Week session. The course is MAT 150.5.
18. There is only one refund date listed on the academic calendar for the 8-week Spring Express Session. Can a student get a portion of their tuition back?
For the 8-week Spring Express Session, the University is piloting an adjusted refund schedule. For this session, there is one refund deadline where a student can get 100% of their tuition back that occurs after the first day of classes for the session.
19. Does TAP cover Spring 2 classes?
- In order to qualify for TAP for Spring 2, students will have to be registered as full-time by the census date (02/18/2021).
- If a student drops a course in Spring 1 and would like to pick up the course in Spring 2, they will have to be registered as full-time by the census date in order to qualify for TAP.
20. Does PELL cover Spring 2 classes?
The Spring 2 session is considered part of the Spring semester. Courses that you enroll in Spring 2 may be added to your semester enrollment to calculate your Federal Pell grant.
21. How can I search and register for Spring Express courses after I have been advised?
You can search and register through CUNYfirst or Schedule Builder.
8-Week Spring Express Session
(3/19/2021 – 5/20/2021)
|22||Monday||Last day to add a course; Last day to drop for 100% refund|
|23||Tuesday||WD assigned for student drop|
|29||Monday||Verification of Enrollment Rosters Available to faculty|
|29||Monday||Last day to drop with WD|
|30||Tuesday||W assigned for student drop|
|31||Wednesday||Verification of Enrollment Rosters Due from faculty|
|April||1||Thursday||WN grade assigned|
|May||17||Monday||Last day to withdraw|
|24||Monday||Final Grade Submission Deadline|
* Final Exam
Note: Variance needed for Saturday/Sunday – meetings will be extended if classes are offered.
Hours of Operation:
Monday–Thursday 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday 11 a.m.–5 p.m.