Under NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements) rules, students have the right to lodge a complaint or grievance if that student’s experience in an online program is not what they anticipate. BMCC wants to ensure that all student complaints are addressed fairly and resolved promptly. All student complaints must be filed initially with the following BMCC representative:
Director of Digital Education
199 Chambers Street
New York, NY 10007
If a resolution to that complaint is not found, then a further appeal can be addressed to:
Supervisor of Higher Education Programs
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
See more information about NC-SARA and complaint resolution.
See more information about filing a complaint against a college or university in New York.
Interregional Guidelines for the Evaluation of Distance Education
- Online learning is appropriate to the institution’s mission and purposes.
- The institution’s plans for developing, sustaining, and, if appropriate, expanding online learning offerings are integrated into its regular planning and evaluation processes.
- Online learning is incorporated into the institution’s systems of governance and academic oversight.
- Curricula for the institution’s online learning offerings are coherent, cohesive, and comparable in academic rigor to programs offered in traditional instructional formats.
- The institution evaluates the effectiveness of its online learning offerings, including the extent to which the online learning goals are achieved, and uses the results of its evaluations to enhance the attainment of the goals.
- Faculty responsible for delivering the online learning curricula and evaluating the students’ success in achieving the online learning goals are appropriately qualified and effectively supported.
- The Institution provides effective student and academic services to support students enrolled in online learning offerings.
- The institution provides sufficient resources to support and, if appropriate, expand its online learning offerings.
- The Institution assures the integrity of its online offerings.