Potential English as a second language (ESL) students are identified via the CUNY Admissions process. ESL students who do not meet CUNY’s English proficiency requirements may be assessed for English/ESL course placement. Students required to complete English/ESL assessment will be notified via email to schedule the Accuplacer ESL test once the student accepts the offer of Admission. Students only need to take the test once. The results of the test will be available to all CUNY colleges. Students who completed the ESL Diagnostic (ESLD) may be asked to take the Accuplacer ESL test.
For more information about the Accuplacer ESL test please review CUNY’s Testing FAQ section to find answers to questions like:
- “How will English as a Second Language (ESL) applicants be assessed for placement into courses?”
- “Can the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, DUOLINGO, and other similar exams be used to satisfy CUNY’s English proficiency requirement?”
ESL Assessment Test Preparation
The Accuplacer ESL test consists of the following five test sections:
- WritePlacer ESL
- ESL Reading Skills
- ESL Language Use
- ESL Listening
- ESL Sentence Meaning
- Prepare for the Accuplacer ESL test for free on their Accuplacer Practice page. Register, sign-in, and click on English as Second Language (ESL) to access interactive practice tests with answer explanations.
- Review the WritePlacer ESL Guide and the ESL Test Sample Questions.
- Watch test taking tutorials to learn how to use test features before your test.
The Testing Office requires that students review CUNY’s Academic Integrity policy which prohibits all forms of academic dishonesty with penalties including suspension or expulsion from CUNY. For questions please email email@example.com