What is Supplemental Instruction?
Supplemental Instruction is a free academic assistance program that utilizes out-of-class, peer-facilitated review sessions. Supplemental Instruction targets traditionally difficult academic (Gateway) courses – those that have a high rate of D or F grades and withdrawals.
Who are Supplemental Instruction Leaders?
SI sessions are facilitated by “SI leaders”, students who have previously done well in the course and who attend all class lectures, take notes, and act as model students. SI leaders receive comprehensive training by a trained and experienced SI Coordinator.
What is the role of a Supplemental Instruction Leader?
- Attend all class sessions
- Schedule 3-4 hours of out-of-class sessions each week
- Help students understand course concepts and study skills
- Help students foster connections with support services
- Demonstrate successful academic strategies and habits
What happens in a Supplemental Instruction session?
The SI sessions include informal reviews in which students compare notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools and predict test questions. Students learn how to integrate course content and study skills while working collaboratively.
What is the Purpose of SI?
- To increase retention within targeted historically difficulty courses
- To improve student grades in targeted historically difficulty courses
- To increase the graduation rates of students
Who can benefit from the SI Program at BMCC?
The SI program is beneficial to everyone. Students who attend SI sessions report higher course grades and learned study skills. SI Leaders report professional development in Leadership and facilitation; they also report better, more developed relationships with faculty and a deeper understanding of the content for which they serve. Faculty benefit from having SI support in their classes. Through interactions with the Leader, they have their finger on the pulse of the students in their class, they receive higher student evaluations, and they are more connected with the needs of their students.
Nandrani Algu, LRC Tutorial/SI Manager