Before registering for classes for your first semester at BMCC, we require that all students attend a Getting Prepared to Start (GPS) orientation session. During GPS we will cover important information that will ensure your seamless transition to college life at BMCC. You will meet members of the BMCC college community, including your fellow classmates, and together with faculty and professional staff members will learn about the services and opportunities BMCC offers, receive academic advisement and register for your first semester.
*Registration is dependent on your academic advisement, which requires the following: completion of CUNY Assessment Tests or exemptions, submission of health immunization records, and acceptance to BMCC.
GPS Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I receive an invitation to attend GPS?
To receive an invitation to attend GPS you must complete the following three steps:
- Receive your acceptance letter from BMCC.
- Activate your CUNYfirst account by claiming your account.
– For instructions, click here.
– If you get the error message “USER NOT FOUND,” click the iAccept link found in your acceptance e-mail from BMCC Admissions. Fill out the iAccept form and you will be activated within 7 to 10 days.
- Take the CUNY Assessment tests and have test scores in the system.
– Not sure if you are exempt from the test? Exemption information here.
– Need to schedule a test date? Click here.
– Need more information about testing? Click here.
2. I signed up for GPS, but I need to change my date. How can I do that?
Visit the GPS RSVP site and pick a new date. The dates listed are the only available options.
What is my EMPL ID number? How do I find it?
When you claimed your CUNYfirst account you received a username and an EMPL ID number.
Your CUNYfirst Username looks like this: Joe.Guy58
Your EMPL ID number looks like this: 23100558 (8 digit number)
To find your EMPL ID number, log into CUNYfirst, click on Self Service, and click on Student Center. You will see your EMPL ID # on the upper right hand corner of the screen.
For all issues regarding CUNYfirst, use this Student Reference Guide to find solutions.
What if the major I applied for is different from the major I picked when I reserved a spot for GPS?
You will be advised for the major that you picked on your GPS reservation. If you wish to pursue a major that is different from the one you originally chose when you applied to BMCC, you will need to officially change your major with the Admissions Office (S-310). You must do this before you register for courses due to the effect it could have on your financial aid package.
Is there anything I need to do before coming to GPS?
There are a number of things you can do before coming to GPS to ensure that you are able to register for courses and that you are on pace to start your semester off successfully.
- File your Free Application for Federal Student Aid FAFSA (Visit the Financial Aid homepage for more information)
- Check your to-do list found in your Student Center on CUNYfirst. View instructions here: viewing your CUNYfirst To-Do List
- Check to see if you have any holds on your account. View instructions here: viewing holds on your CUNYfirst account. The most common holds are “Advisement” and “MEN” & ”MMR.”
– The “Advisement” hold will be removed when you attend GPS.
– The “MEN” hold requires you to submit a Meningitis Acknowledge form. This is easily done through CUNYFirst. View instructions here on how to submit your immunization meningitis acknowledgement form
– The “MMR” hold requires you to submit your health immunization records to Health Services. You cannot register for courses without your health immunization records on file. More information about the required forms can be found here
What will I do at GPS?
You will meet members of the BMCC college community, learn about the services and opportunities BMCC offers, receive academic advisement, and register* for your first semester. Attending GPS will save you a considerable amount of time and get you prepared to start your first semester at BMCC.
*Registration is contingent upon academic advisement which requires completion of CUNY Assessment Tests or exemptions, submission of health immunization records, and acceptance to BMCC.