Mental Health Resources
Free, confidential mental health support. Speak to a counselor via phone, text or chat and get access to mental health and substance misuse services in more than 200 languages, 24/7/365.
1 (888) NYC-WELL
Spanish: 1-888-692-9355, press 3
Call 711 (Relay Service for Deaf/Hard of Hearing)
Text “WELL” to 65173
(Hotlines are open 24 hours a day; all calls are free and confidential)
Steve Fund Crisis Text Line
If you are a young person of color who is feeling stressed, depressed, or anxious, you can text STEVE to 741741 to connect with a trained crisis counselor 24/7.
Your online resource for college mental health.
With the 10 Minute Mind, you can learn to manage your stress in only 10 short minutes a day.
Links to mental health, substance abuse, and medical resources
Guide for finding help for common problems during the COVID-19 pandemic
The following resources may be contacted for help with more specific issues
Depression and Suicide Prevention
- National Suicide Prevention Helpline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- National Adolescent Suicide Helpline: 1-800-621-4000
- Veterans: 1-877-VET2VET
- Now Matters Now: (Skills and support for coping with suicidal thoughts)
- Speaking of Suicide: (Resources for suicidal people, their loved ones, and others who care)
- National Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Safe Horizon Domestic Violence Hotline: (212) 227-3000
- The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network: 1-800-621-HOPE (4673)
Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Narcotics Anonymous
- SAMSHA: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- Al-Anon/Alateen (Hope and Help for young people who are the relatives and friends of a problem drinker): 1-800-344-2666
LGBTQ support services
- The Trevor Helpline: 1-866-488-7386
- NYC Unity Project
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Community Center
208 W. 13th St., New York, NY 10011, (212) 620-7310
- Audre Lorde Project
85 South Oxford St., Brooklyn, NY 11217; (718) 596-0342
147 W. 24th St., 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10011; (212) 463-0342
- Brooklyn Community Pride Center
4 MetroTech, Brooklyn, NY 11201; (347) 889-7719
- Pride Center of Staten Island
25 Victory Blvd., 3rd Floor, Staten Island, NY 10301; (718) 808-1360
- Rainbow Heights Club
25 Flatbush Ave., 4th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11217; (718) 852-2584
- Covenant House
Provides emergency shelter, crisis care, counseling and clothing.
- Ali Forney Center – Offers emergency and transitional housing, drop-in services, meals, support groups, counseling and medical services for LGBTQ homeless youth.
- Safe Horizon Streetwork Project
Provides LGBT-affirming services for runaway and homeless youth, including emergency housing, food, clothing, showers, medical care, needle exchange and an HIV support group.
- Trinity Place Shelter
Transitional housing program for LGBTQ youth ages 18-24 in New York City.