It is important to set goals for yourself, both short and long term. It has been proven that people who write out their career goals are more likely to see them happen. Set goals on a realistic timeline; nothing happens overnight.
Use the Center for Career Development
Meet with an advisor to talk through your career goals and learn what action steps are necessary to start learning industry knowledge, the importance of networking, and the skills needed in your chosen field.
- Take advantage of our virtual walk-in hours for an initial meeting with one of our Career Development Assistants. Contact the office at (212) 220-8170 or firstname.lastname@example.org for general questions.
- You can also schedule an appointment with an advisor through Career Express.
Utilize the information you learned about yourself during Explore Your Interests to determine your goals and priorities.
Keep Track of your Academics
Make sure you are meeting with your Academic Advisor to ensure you are taking the correct courses towards your degree.
Additional Steps to Success
- Attend a virtual walk-in session.
- Create a Career Express profile– Career Express is the best way to interact with the many services the office offers. You can apply for jobs, schedule an appointment with an advisor, sign-up for workshops, and much more. You must create a profile to get the most out of your partnership with Career Development.
- Attend a Career Advisor appointment– Meet with an advisor to talk through your career goals and take action steps to start learning industry knowledge, networking and skills needed in your chosen field.
- Attend a Career Center Workshop – Choose from a variety of topics including resumes, interviewing LinkedIn and many more!
- Have an Approved Cover Letter and Resume in Career Express – Get your resume and cover letter approved by one of our Career Advisors.
- Schedule a pre-assesment appointment – Learn about the different assesments our office has to offer to help you find a career related to your interests.
- Complete a Mock Interview – Sharpen your interviewing skills by coming in for a mock interview.
- Attend a Networking Event – We offer plenty of networking events from Career fairs to speaker series.
- Like/Follow us on one of our Social Media Accounts – We currently use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Create a LinkedIn Profile – LinkedIn is a great networking tool. If you need help creating an account, make an appointment and one of our advisors will help you.