To report a crime or emergency, call Public Safety at (212) 220-8080. If on campus call 911 or use one of the blue call boxes located throughout the campus. Click here for emergency call box locations
Evacuation of People with Disabilities
- Do not use elevators or escalators.
**The NYFD may override the rule against using the elevator in order to evacuate people.
- Alert the hearing impaired to an emergency and initiate their evacuation.
- Mobility impaired person/persons who cannot navigate the staircase should stage at the nearest elevator bank to them. They should remain at that location until a determination has been by the NYFD concerning the safest form of evacuation.
- Disabled students, faculty, and staff should develop a “buddy system.” (Should be advised at the start of each semester by the Disability Coordinator) The “buddy system” designates a specific volunteer to assist and take responsibility for a person during an emergency on Campus.
- BMCC Public Safety Staff will do a sweep of the elevator banks on Campus and alert supervisory staff as to: Which elevator banks have person/persons staged and the number at each bank.
Guidelines for Assisting Individuals with Disabilities
If an individual wants to help a person with a disability, always ask how you can help before giving assistance. The following guidelines should be used for assisting individuals with specific disabilities.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Disabilities
Individuals with a hearing disability may not be able to distinguish audible warning alarms or respond to voice communications. Convey the need to communicate by turning the room lights on and off and indicate through hand gestures or writing what is happening and where to go. Escort individuals during an evacuation as they may not be able to follow oral commands issued by authorities.
Individuals with a visual disability may prefer to hold on to a sighted person’s elbow during an evacuation. If possible, someone should follow behind to protect the individual from being pushed down in the event of crowding.
Stairway evacuation of wheelchair users should be conducted by trained professionals (i.e. the fire/rescue or other trained emergency responders). Only in situations of extreme danger should untrained people attempt to evacuate wheelchair users. Moving a wheelchair down the stairs is never safe.
Emergency Evacuation Chairs
Emergency evacuation chairs have been placed strategically through the college at the following locations:
- Chambers Street
- South Side
- 7 South/stair E
- 5 South/stair E 4 South/ stair D
- South Side
- North Side
- 7 North/stair A
- 5 North/stair A
- 6 North/stair B
- Fiterman Hall
- 6th Floor by stair case B
- 8th floor by stair case B
- 10th floor by stair case B
- 12th floor by stair case B
- Murray Street
- 11th Floor adjacent to room’s 1106a-1106b
- 14th floor. Adjacent to the #9 elevator
199 Chambers Street Building Evacuation Procedures
When the emergency alarm sounds, stop whatever you are doing and exit the building as quickly and calmly as possible. The alarm has a loud repeating bell sound accompanied by flashing strobe lights. Follow the evacuation path posted in the room to the nearest staircase.
- Try not to panic
- Do not ignore the alarm
- Do not use the elevator or escalator. The escalators will come to a slow, controlled stop and the elevators return to the first floor for use by emergency personnel.
- Follow the directions of the Fire Wardens, C-CERT Team Members and Public Safety Staff.
- Do not return to your classroom of office for any reason.
- BMCC has a voice enunciator system to assist you in an emergency. Listen carefully to any instructions given.
- Please assist those needing special help.
70 Murray Street Evacuation Procedures
In the event of an evacuation or other emergency BMCC Public Safety will coordinate its efforts with the 75 Park Pl Security and building management emergency protocols. When the audible alarm sounds begin and the strobe lights flash, follow the procedures listed below:
- Gather your belongings and listen for instructions over the public address system. You may be instructed to proceed to the staircase indicated on the emergency evacuation diagram posted in your classroom or office (Staircases are located near the bank of elevators on each floor of the building and are lit during emergencies.)
- Follow the instructions of he fire warden on your floor.
Please Note: The Murray Street building follows a different evacuation protocol than 199 Chambers Street. It is imperative that you listen carefully and follow the directions over the public address system from the Fire Safety Officers in charge.
Elevators and Escalators
During an evacuation, elevators and escalators are NEVER to be used.
The senior fire official at the scene will determine if the elevators can be used to evacuate persons with disabilities from their staging area.
- All staircases at 70 Murray have emergency lighting and the re-entry floors are clearly marked.
- Do not return to your floor until advised to do so by the Fire Safety Director or the public address system announcements.
See emergency and evacuation procedures for 25 Broadway and 125th Street
Fiterman Hall Evacuation Procedures
BMCC is committed to providing a healthy and safe educational and working environment for our students, faculty, and staff.
Fire Alarm Systems: Fiterman Hall is equipped with fire alarm systems. All systems have and will be tested and inspected annually by a New York City certified fire alarm installer, and inspected daily by the BMCC Engineering Staff. All fire alarm systems are monitored 24/7 on campus by a central monitoring station as well as by the Security Officers on duty at Fiterman Hall. Fire alarm pull stations are located throughout Fiterman Hall
The following are the Fire Safety Policies and Standard Operating Guidelines for BMCC, at Fiterman Hall.
Whenever the fire alarm sounds, this will be both audible and flashing lights, you should evacuate Fiterman Hall immediately using the nearest exit also an enunciator system will direct you on what action to take. When the alarm system is activated, you should treat all alarms as the real thing – assume nothing! Behavior of any kind, which inadvertently activates a fire alarm, will be subject to disciplinary action. Failure to evacuate an area may also result in disciplinary action.
You will be directed by the enunciator system, BMCC Public Safety, Campus CERT Team Members, and Fire Wardens.
All faculty, staff, and students are required to evacuate the building during a fire alarm. If a fire alarm sounds, immediately proceed to the nearest exit. The last person out of an office or classroom should close the door.
Do not use the escalators.
The elevators will be recalled to the first floor when:
- A smoke detector in the elevator lobby goes into alarm.
- When a water flow for the sprinkler system goes into alarm.
The elevators will remain in operation when:
- Pull box is activated.
- Area smoke detector, heat detector, duct detector are activated.
- Pre- action system alarm is activated.
BMCC Public Safety Staff will do a sweep of the elevator banks on
Campus and alert supervisory staff as to which elevator bank has people staged.
Fiterman Hall is equipped with two staircases, A and B. Staircase A is on the east- side of the building located on the West Broadway side of Fiterman Hall. Please exit on the West Broadway Side and proceed away from the building by making a left on West Broadway then a left on Park Place and cross over to Greenwich St. Staircase B will allow you to exit at Barclay Street. Please proceed away from the building and cross over to the park.
Staircase B which is located on the Southside of the building will allow you to exit the building on to Barclay Street. Please proceed away from the building and cross over to the park.
There are two spiral staircases one is on the South side of the building, and one is on the North side. The College strongly recommends that during an evacuation you do not use the spiral staircase. If you are on one of the spiral staircases during an evacuation please stay to the right and hold onto the handrail get off the next floor and use the staircase.
The Spiral Staircase on the North side goes from floors 10 to 4. Once you reach the 4th floor landing you should turn left and use staircase A to exit the building. The other spiral staircase is on the South side and goes from 10 to 5, once you reach the 5th floor you should turn left and use staircase B.
Once Outside the Building
Move away from the building. Do not stand in front of or near the entrances to the building. Do not; block fire department access to the building.
Always know two ways out and familiarize yourself with the escape routes in the event of an emergency.