We are now in our fourth week of Spring Semester 2022, and I am delighted to see more students, faculty and staff back on campus. Our academic and support services continue to be offered in-person and remotely in order to serve students in multiple approaches.
As our buildings, hallways and classrooms continue to get recharged with in-person engagement and interaction, I wish to remind all of the BMCC community about the In-Person Work Plan under the guidance of the City University of New York (CUNY).
Starting on Monday, February 28, staff members are required to work 70% of the time, in-person, on the BMCC campus. The new flexible work agreements will be effective from February 28 through June 17 and subject to change to meet institutional needs. All BMCC staff are encouraged to start making any needed preparations to be ready for this transition.
The on campus/in person work schedule consists of the following guidelines:
- All student-facing, academic departments, and administrative offices must be open for in-person services during the core hours of 9 a.m. through 5 p.m. with evening and weekend hours desirable.
- Weekly work hours for staff members cannot exceed 35 hours, per week. No overtime can be incurred without the advance express written authorization of your manager/supervisor.
- Daily work schedule arrangements for staff must be made under the approval and supervision of departmental heads, directors, deans, and supervisors.
- Essential staff will continue to work more than 70% of their time on campus to meet institutional needs.
- New, signed flexible work agreements must be in place no later than February 27, 2022.
For offices with single staff occupancy:
- Signage must be placed outside of office doors, providing: office hours, phone number and contact email.
- In-person office hours, virtual office hours, phone information and email contact information must be updated on office or departmental landing pages on the BMCC website. Contact the Office of Public Affairs for assistance.
All supervisors are encouraged to work with Human Resources to consider individual situations where work arrangements that vary from this 70% on campus requirement are sought. We urge employees who are not feeling well or who were expose to COVID-19 to follow the protocols. A reminder that all faculty and staff members coming to the BMCC campus will need to be fully vaccinated, and their proof-of-vaccination documents uploaded and approved in CUNYfirst, or they will need to participate in CUNY’s Cleared4 testing program. (Note: that all full- and part-time faculty, non-teaching instructional staff (which includes, among others, NTAs, CLTs and those in the HEO series) and ECPs are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to upload proof of vaccination into CUNYfirst by no later than April 1, 2022).
Let’s bring our community back to campus so we can continue to provide our students with the quality educational experience they deserve! Please visit the Re-imagining BMCC website for updates, and continue keep our college community safe and healthy by getting vaccinated, boosted, and wearing a mask.
Anthony E. Munroe
President, Borough of Manhattan Community College