Remote Learning Information for Students
Schoology, the MEOC Remote Classroom
- The MEOC’s academic classes and ATTAIN Lab are being offered via Remote Learning formats.
- Spring 2021 courses will be accessed via Schoology. Your course codes will be emailed to you prior to the first day of classes.
- Tutoring services are provided to MEOC Students Monday to Thursday from 1pm to 5pm in the areas of Reading, Writing, and Math via Zoom, and email
- Ask a question by sending an email to MEOC Tutoring at MEOCtutoring@man.eoc.cuny.edu
- The MEOC ATTAIN Lab provides additional resources to support your studies including, but not limited to Rosetta Stone® to learn English or another language; Aztec software to improve academic skills and prepare for the High School Equivalency Exam, the Test Assessing Secondary Completion or TASC; and/or Edmentum™ software to improve employability and workforce skills. In addition, you can earn the Microsoft Office Specialist, Microsoft Technology Associate, or QuickBooks® certification
VIDEO: How to access Gmetrix for Microsoft Practice Certifications
VIDEO: How to access the Language Program Rosetta Stone
How to access the Career Training Program Edmentum
How to access the academic program Aztec Software
The MEOC and our faculty and staff are using a number of tools to reach our students and provide instruction at a distance at this time. One of our communication tools is, Remind. It’s a way to stay in touch with the Center and your instructors directly via text message or email (you choose the method). We want to share some essential steps to join the Center in Remind.
- Watch this short video on how to join a class.
- Spring 2021 MEOC students are encouraged to join the Spring 2021 group to receive updates from the Center, faculty, and staff. More information will be shared during orientation and community meetings. Text @meocspr21 to 81010 to join the Spring 2021 MEOC Student Group. This is the group where general announcements and updates are provided to all students. Join this group to stay up-to-date on information from the MEOC.
MEOC Contact Information
In-person services for students are temporarily postponed. If you need to reach a staff member, please use this directory. If you cannot find the contact information for the person you are looking for reach out to your Advisor, Counselor, firstname.lastname@example.org or the spring 2021 Remind group if you’ve joined.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does “Remote” or “Distance Learning” mean?
At the MEOC remote learning means learning without being in-person. The MEOC uses Schoology as our virtual or remote classroom. This is where your instructors will provide resources, offer their lessons, and stay connection to their students. We encourage students to check their emails regularly for updates from their instructors and utilize the Schoology pages for each of their courses.
Will I be able to meet with my teachers in person during this time?
At this time in-person services for students have been suspended. When they resume we’ll let you know.
I haven’t been getting updates. How do I make sure I’m getting them?
The MEOC primarily uses your email on file to be in touch with you as well as the registered student group in Remind for that semester.
Update your contact information (email address, phone, mailing address) by sending your full name and updated contact information to email@example.com. If you know your Banner ID please include it. If you don’t know it, send the information in anyway.
To join the Spring 2021 Remind Group, email: firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions. Instructors may also have their own groups. Be sure to accept the invitations from all of your instructors to join their Remind groups and courses in Schoology.
What is Remind?
Remind is a communication tool that allows administrators, instructors, and students to communicate with each other via text message (SMS), or email on multiple devices (phone, laptop, or tablet). Users do not see one another’s telephone numbers so it allows for users to send text messages without knowing the other person’s number – keeping your personal information private. Learn more by going to remind.com. You can also download the App from the Android or Apple store.
How do I “attend” class remotely?
You must attend the remote courses offered by your instructors. In general instructors will offer their classes using Zoom. They’ll include information in the Schoology Course. Attendance is required at all courses on your schedule. If you will need to miss a class, contact your instructors and/or Advisors or Counselors. Four (4) consecutive absences or six (6) total absences can jeopardize your enrollment.
How do we access the ATTAIN Lab? They had good online content that I want to continue to use.
During this unprecedented period of remote learning, much of the ATTAIN Lab content will be available to you remotely. The ATTAIN Lab Lab Technology Coordinators (LTCs) will have courses in Schoology just like your academic classes. If you’ve never used the MEOC ATTAIN Lab please complete the Enrollment Form online today.
- Rosetta Stone® is available to ESOL students registered with the lab.
- Aztec software is available to academic prep students looking to earn their High School Equivalency diploma who are registered with the lab.
- Edmentum™ content for academic and career trainings is available for those who registered with the lab.
- Multiple resources are available to students who were registered and are studying for Microsoft® or QuickBooks® certifications.
How can I pick up books?
Designated dates and times will be available for book pick-up. Please be sure to make an appointment for one of these times and keep your appointment. Please speak with your Advisor/Counselor for specific information.
Who do I ask for help?
We’re happy to assist you. Who to reach depends on your need or question.
- If you need help accessing your Schoology account email Academic Affairs at Academics@man.eoc.cuny.edu.
- If you want information about a specific course, contact your instructor. You can get their email and contact information from your course outline or by finding them in the faculty directory.
- If you need help logging into Remind and do not have your instructors contact information and cannot find it online email the MEOC at Admissions@man.eoc.cuny.edu.
- You can also use the live chat feature on our website between 9am and 7pm Monday – Thursday and 9am – 5pm on Friday.
What do I do if I don’t have access to a computer or the internet?
- At this time in person services at the MEOC for students are suspended and our computer labs are unavailable. Once we begin to offer in-person services to students we will let you know.
- We have a limited number of MEOC Loaner Devices for student use. If you’re in need of a device please contact your Advisor or Counselor. We are not able to provide internet access to students.
What do I do if I can’t keep up or if distance learning is too challenging for me?
- Reach out to your instructor or Advisor/Counselor. If you don’t know their contact information email email@example.com assistance.