What are the eligibility requirements?

To receive a Federal Pell Grant and most other types of federal student aid, you must:

  • Have financial need.
  • Have a high school diploma, a GED, or have been home-schooled.
  • Be enrolled to obtain a degree.
  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or other eligible classification of non- citizen.
  • Have a valid Social Security number.
  • Meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard for Federal Student Aid Programs.
  • Register with Selective Service, if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25.
  • Certify by signing a FAFSA that you will use any federal student aid funds awarded to you solely for educational purposes.
  • Certify by signing a FAFSA that you are not in default of any federal student loan and that you do not owe a repayment of any federal student aid grant.
  • Not have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of illegal drugs while you were a student receiving federal student aid. Learn more.

How do I apply?