Financial Aid

View FAQs by Category

Financial Aid 101



Federal Work-Study

The Excelsior Scholarship

Are there any other requirements that I must meet after I complete my degree?

If you receive the Excelsior Scholarship, you will have to commit to remain living exclusively in New York State for a period of time equal to the length of time you received Excelsior support. If you are working during those years, you must also be working in New York State.

If you do not fulfill this requirement, the Excelsior assistance will turn into a loan which you will have to repay. Part of the Excelsior Scholarship application process will require you to sign a contract and promissory note that will legally bind you to these conditions.

If you transfer to another college or graduate school outside of New York State, you will be able to defer your New York State residency commitment until after you graduate [or otherwise leave college].

If you are a former Excelsior Scholarship recipient who is serving in the military, you will still be considered a New York State resident and therefore fulfill the residency requirement during your time of service.

Can I get the Excelsior Scholarship to pursue a second degree?

  • BMCC logo
The City University of New York

Borough of Manhattan Community College
The City University of New York
199 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007
212-220-8000 | Directory

Text Only Version