Financial Aid

View FAQs by Category

Financial Aid 101



Federal Work-Study

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

Can I ever get out of repaying my loan?

There are certain exceptional circumstances, such as the borrower's death or permanent disability, which can result in the discharge or cancellation of a student loan. A discharge releases the borrower from all obligation to repay.

There are also certain conditions under which your Direct Loan balance can be forgiven. A list of discharge conditions can be found in the Student Loan Deferment and Cancellation Summaries page.

Remember that your loan cannot be discharged because you didn't complete your program of study, didn't like the school or couldn't find a job after graduation.

Repayment assistance may be available if you serve in the military. For more information about repayment assistance, consult your recruiting officer.

For more information about discharge or repayment assistance, contact your Direct Loan Servicer or the lender or guarantee agency that holds your loan.

The Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group is a Department of Education office that helps students resolve disputes and solve other problems with federal student loans.

Back to Federal Direct Loan FAQ page

  • BMCC logo
The City University of New York

Borough of Manhattan Community College
The City University of New York
199 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007
212-220-8000 | Directory

Text Only Version