What are my rights & responsibilities as an aid recipient?
You, the student, must partner with the Financial Aid Office to insure that you get the financial help you need to attend college. In order for the Financial Aid Office to do its part, you have to do your part.
You Have The Responsibility To:
- Keep all your contact information (postal address, email and telephone) up to date in your CUNYfirst account.
- Check your BMCC e-mail regularly for messages about your fianncial aid.
- Complete your applications accurately and provide correct information at all times. Reporting false information is a violation of the law and may be considered a criminal offense.
- Be aware of and meet all application deadlines. You must complete your applications early enough so that processing may be completed by the stated deadline.
- Submit any additional information or documents required by the Financial Aid Office before the stated deadline.
- Keep your parents informed of all financial aid requirements and deadlines if you are a dependent student.
- Read and understand all forms you are asked to sign and keep a copy of each. If you don't understand, ask a financial aid representative.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office if the information reported on your financial aid application has changed.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office if at any time during the year you receive any type of financial assistance that is not listed on your award notice.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office if you are receiving financial aid for attendance at another institution while attending BMCC.
- Know and comply with all terms, conditions and policies associated with the awards you receive.
- Begin attendance in your classes. Financial aid is awarded with the expectation that you will attend school for the entire period for which your aid was intended.
- Continue to make satisfactory academic progress in your program of study according to college and CUNY standards.
You Have the Right To:
- Know what financial aid programs are available, including information on all federal, state and BMCC financial aid programs. Learn more.
- Know the application procedures and deadlines for each of the available financial aid programs. Learn more about how to apply. Learn more about when to apply.
- Know how your financial aid eligibility is determined. Learn more.
- Know how financial aid is awarded and the basis for these decisions. Learn more.
- Know how and when financial aid is disbursed. Learn more.
- Know how BMCC determines whether or not you are making satisfactory academic progress, and what happens if you are not. Learn more.
- Ask a financial aid counselor to review your financial situation if something has changed in your family circumstances such as loss of job or other drastic changes. Learn more.
- Confidentiality of your personal information. All records and information submitted with your application for financial aid are confidential, and subject to legal requirements concerning disclosure of such information. Learn more.
- Know about the college's tuition refund policies if you have to withdraw from school after the semester begins. Learn more.
- Know what effect withdrawals will have on your eligibility for financial aid payments. Learn more.
You have additional rights & responsibilities if you receive a Federal Direct Loan or Federal Work-Study.
Return to Financial Aid Homepage