Financial Aid

View FAQs by Category

Financial Aid 101



Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

How do I apply?

To be considered for Federal Work-Study (FWS), you must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student aid (FAFSA) by an established filing deadline and indicate on it that you are interested in work. CUNY receives a fixed amount of money each academic year to make FWS awards. Once this money is awarded, there is no more for that academic year. FWS is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. You must file your FAFSA early to be considered.

If you are awarded Federal Work-Study, the award will be posted to your Financial Aid Award Summary page in CUNYfirst.  To view this page, login to your Student Center in CUNYfirst, and click on "View Financial Aid." After the college packages you with your financial aid awards, you will also receive an e-mail award letter that will indicate whether or not you have been awarded FWS.

If you don't receive a Federal Work-Study award as part of your awards package, you may submit an Award Letter Appeal Form to be considered for FWS.  You are welcome to visit the Federal Work Study Placement Office in Rm N370 if you have questions about your award status.

Where would I work?

  • BMCC logo
The City University of New York

Borough of Manhattan Community College
The City University of New York
199 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007
212-220-8000 | Directory

Text Only Version