Timothy G Keane
Phone: +1 (212) 220-8272
My areas of teaching and research are Modernism (Literature & Art) and various forms of Twentieth Century Autobiography.
Recently, I have been researching and publishing on interrelationships between the visual arts, music and literature, both in Europe from the 1920s-1940s and within the New York School of the 1950s-1970s.
My fiction, poetry, and translations appear in national and international journals and magazines.
- Ph.D. CUNY Graduate Center, Comparative Literature,2011
- This course will introduce the student to autobiography in the context of literary debate: why do we read autobiography? How do we classify autobiography, as non-fiction or fiction? Works by both men and women of many cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds will be included. Students will examine the various styles, elements, as well as the recurring themes in autobiography, while working on their own "reflection of the self.
Pre-Requisite: ENG101 and ENG201 or ENG121
Research and Projects
- Being an Animal on 9/11:Reinterpreting Rainer Maria Rilke’s “The Panther” and “The Eighth Elegy”2013, Journal of Mulitdiscplinary Studies Volume 3: Special Issue on Animal Studies [peer-reviewed]
- “Birdsong in the May-Wood” (poem)2013, Structo [print] [ISSN 2044-8244]
- “The Line Into Which I Shall Merge: Jean Genet Among the Painters”2013, Hyperallergic Weekend: Sensitive to Arts and Its Discontents
- “Decoupage” (poem)2013, Vanitas 7 [print] [ISSN 1933-8988]
- Last Song of the Reed Flute (for Federico Garcia Lorca) (poem)2013, Evergreen Review [ISSN 0014-3758]
- Playing the Blues: Pete Townshend’s Who I Am and Music as Experimental Autobiography2013, electronic book review ISSN: 1553-1139 [peer-reviewed]
- No Real Assurances: Late Modernist Poetics and George Schneeman’s Collaborations with the New York School Poets2014, Studies in Visual Arts & Communication Vol 1 (2)
- “Blank Page” “What Room” translations of Pierre Chappuis’ poems (from French)2013, Metamorphoses: a Journal of Literary Translation Issue 21.2 [ISSN1068-7831]
- “Bolero” (prose poem, published with art by Robert Corless)2013, Sleepingfish (Calamari Press) [print] [ISBN 978-0983163381]
- “Scree” translation of poem “Eboulis” by Pierre Chappuis, with accompanying essay on translation, translated into French by Myriam Moraz2012, Persil (peer-reviewed journal published at University of Lausanne, Switzerland))
Honors, Awards and Affiliations
- PSC Research Foundation Enhanced Grant 2014
Enhance travel and research grant to research the New York art and poetry scene of the early to mid 1960s.
- PSC Adjunct Professional Grant, 2007
Grant to deliver paper on Samuel Beckett’s fiction at University College’s Defining Space Conference, Dublin, Ireland October 2007
- CUNY Doctoral Student Research Grant (DSRG), 2010
Grant to deliver paper on French novelist and playwright Jean Genet’s memoirs at international academic conference “Societies in Transition: Balancing Security, Social Justice and Tradition” in Marrakesh, Morocco, June 2010.
- PSC Adjunct Development Grant, 2008
Grant to deliver paper on New Zealand novelist Janet Frame at Simon Fraser University’s Madness, Cititzenship and Human Rights Conference, Vancouver, Canada, June, 2008
- National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowship in Fiction, 2000
- BRIO (Bronx Recognizes Its Own) Fellowship Award for Fiction, 1998
- Forward Prize for Individual Poem, Nomination, 2014
Poem “Birdsong in the May-Wood” nominated for Forward Prize for Individual Poem, United Kingdom.