Mabel Y Asante
Academic Literacy and Linguistics
Phone: +1 (212) 220-1401
- M.A. University of Tuebingen, Germany, English Linguistics & Comparative Linguistics,1987
- Ph.D. University of Tuebingen, Germany, English Linguistics,1995
- This advanced reading course is designed to help students master a full range of college-level reading and related skills, including critical comprehension, vocabulary, writing, flexible rates of reading, and study strategies. A variety of college-level materials is used.
- This intensive writing course for ESL students focuses on basic components of effective writing, including paragraph development and structure, sentence structure, word choice, and content. Students read and respond to a variety of texts and use argumentation, narrative, and description as modes of developing ideas in writing.
- This course will introduce the student to the study of Language and Culture. The course will introduce related topics, such as bilingual/bidialectal families and bilingual education, language and gender, literacy in a changing, technological society, child language acquisition, and different dialects and registers of English. The readings will draw on works in linguistics, literature and related fields. Students will work on critical reading and produce writing based on the readings in connections with their own experiences and backgrounds.
Research and Projects
- Co-Director, Teaching Learning Center, BMCC
The Teaching Learning Center at BMCC oversees faculty development initiatives.