Become Certified as a Financial Health Counselor
The successful management of one’s financial resources – income, expenses, debts and assets – is among the most important factors in overall health and wellbeing. Certified Financial Health Counselors help their clients understand and apply the principles of sound financial management to their resources and their lives. In this 100% online course you will learn to support others in areas such as housing, student loans and overall financial stability. Upon successful completion, you will earn a Certified Financial Health Counselor designation from the National Association of Certified Credit Counselors.
Job Outlook for Certified Financial Health Counselor
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) forecasts a 4% increase in the demand for Personal Financial Advisors between now and 2029. This matches expected growth for all job categories. The Bureau notes that, despite the prevalence of applications and automated financial management, individuals increasingly trust certified advisors to address their specific and often-complex needs.
- According to PayScale.com, the average salary for a Financial Advisor is $59,690 per year. Incomes for early-career Financial Advisors range from $38-82,000 per year, on average, during the first four years of their careers.
Certified Financial Health Counselor FAQs
What skills does a Certified Financial Health Counselor need?
Certified Financial Health Counselors match technical knowledge with communication and organizational skills. They need a comprehensive knowledge base in issues related to personal finance and many also specialize in a specific area such as credit or student loan management. They also need empathy, conversation and persuasion skills to build relationships with clients. And they need business management skills for their clients and for their own practices.
Can Certified Financial Health Counselors work anywhere?
Although there is not a general license requirement for financial advisors, some states or municipalities may have their own regulations. Please check with your state and local governments for their requirements. Financial Health Counselors who offer investment products need to be licensed to sell those products.
Is Certified Financial Health Counselor a good choice for remote work?
Certified Financial Health Counselors often meet with clients in private or confidential settings, including their own homes or offices. Therefore many work independently or remotely. ZipRecruiter.com reports that financial advisors commonly earn between $42-113,000 working remotely.
- Credit industry and scoring knowledge
- Credit/financial counselor ethics
- Banking and finance essentials
- Counseling, motivation and communication techniques
- Fundamentals of consumer protection law
- Housing, retirement, and student loan information
- You will learn effective counseling techniques for guiding clients towards reaching financial goals
- You will learn banking and credit fundamentals needed to educate clients and help them eliminate debt and improve credit scores
- Contains credit counselor ethics and other information to help future counselors work ethically, professionally and legally
- You will receive the Certified Financial Health Counselor designation after passing the final exam
Prerequisites and Requirements
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- The Defining Role of the Financial Counselor
- Taking Control of Finances
- Demystifying Consumer Credit
- Understanding and Dealing with Debt
- Financial Counselor Today
Bonnie Canty is an attorney licensed in five states: Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, and New York. She obtained her Juris Doctorate degree from Hofstra School of Law and practices general law through her firm ABC Law, PLLC. She has been hired by several businesses and organizations to train, coach, and consult. Canty currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Society of Financial and Career Counseling Professionals and has been a Certified Financial Counselor for almost two decades.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is open enrollment. You can enroll and begin at any time.