Your Starting Point is Here
Math Start is CUNY Start’s 8-12 week intervention that prepares students for success in college by fostering their full math potential. In a social and collaborative learning environment, students access the support they need to increase their understanding of math so that they can meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and thrive as CUNY college students. You will also work closely with an academic advisor in a weekly College Success Seminar and one-on-one throughout the semester.
Our online classes during Summer 2021 will offer a chance to demonstrate full or partial proficiency in mathematics. The ultimate goal of the program is to help students reduce or eliminate their development skills requirements. Please see the Math Start Program Snapshot for success rates of students who have completed our program.
- Students identified as in need of developmental support in math (based on a CUNY Math Proficiency Index score within the range of 0-39)
- Proficiency or near-proficiency in English (based on a CUNY English Proficiency Index score at or above 58)
- Has not previously earned a college degree in the United States
- Can commit to an intensive, participatory program for a semester and be ready to matriculate following semester
- Reduce your time in developmental math classes!
- College Transition Counseling
- Two opportunities to pass course
- Costs just $35, including materials
- Provides Free weekly MTA MetroCards (for in-person instruction only)
- Fast-tracks your learning in just 8 – 12 weeks
- Full-time and Part-time schedules available
- Offers classes year-round
- Provides dedicated teachers and advisors to support your long-term college success
- Saves tuition and financial aid dollars for credit courses that count toward your degree
- Provides a next-step pathway to CUNY’s ASAP, a program that provides academic, financial and social supports once you begin taking credit courses, and keeps on track to graduate on time.
Apply to Math Start
The fall 2021 in-person part-time program will be available in two convenient locations. Fully on-line classes are also available.
Location 1: Downtown (70 Murray Street, New York, NY 10007)
- September 9 – December 23, 2021
- Monday – Thursday
- 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (with a 30-minute snack break)
Location 2: CUNY In the Heights (5030 Broadway, New York, NY 10034)
- September 27, 2021 – January 13, 2022
- Monday – Thursday
- 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (with a 30-minute snack break)