Your Starting Point is Here!
Math Start is CUNY Start’s 8-week intervention that prepares students for success in college by fostering their full math potential. In a social, collaborative learning environment, students access the support they need to increase their understanding of math so that they can meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and thrive as CUNY college students. You will also work closely with an academic advisor in a weekly College Success Seminar and one-on-one throughout the semester.
Math Start offers two opportunities to retake the math assessment exam. The ultimate goal of the program is to help you enter CUNY, reduce or eliminate your development skills requirements. Please see the Math Start Program Snapshot for success rates of students who have completed our program!
- Take CUNY assessment exams in Reading, Writing and Math
- Need remediation (Reading score 45 and above, Writing score 43 and above or highest range for ESL students, Math score any under 56)
- First time freshmen or have previously taken 30 credits or fewer
- Can commit to an intensive, participatory program for a semester and be ready to matriculate following semester
- Reduce your time in remedial math classes!
- College Transition Counseling
- Two opportunities to retest
- Costs just $35, including materials
- Provides Free weekly MTA MetroCards
- Fast-tracks your learning in just 8-weeks
- Offers classes year round
- Provides dedicated teachers and expert advisors to support your long-term college success
- Saves tuition and financial aid dollars for credit courses that count toward your degree
- Provides a next-step pathway to CUNY’s ASAP, a program that provides academic, financial and social supports once you begin taking credit courses, and keeps on track to graduate on time.
Apply to Math Start
The first step in applying to the CUNY Start program is attending an information session. Space is limited, so please apply early.
Full Time Program
February 11, 2019 – April 10, 2019
Monday – Thursday
9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday
1:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
Part Time Adult Learner Program
February 11, 2019 – April 18, 2019
Monday – Thursday
9:00 a.m. – 1:15 p.m. OR 5:00 p.m. – 9:15 p.m.