International Students

BMCC is a truly diverse campus, this includes our over 900 international students.  Experiential Learning is important for every student and we support and encourage international students to incorporate this learning strategy into both the academic and professional journey.

There are a few offices available on campus to support international students, it is recommended that students become familiar with the International Student Services office when considering what type of experiential learning opportunity is the best fit for your visa type.

Our office works with the International Student Services office and each academic department where internship courses exist to support off-campus (paid and unpaid) internships through Curricular Practical Training or CPT.
CPT allows BMCC international students (non-immigrant students with F-1 status) to intern, research and participate in work-learning experiences for one semester when eligible in both part-time and full-time capacities.

Please download the Curricular Practical Training Application form for further details and steps to take to participate in an off-campus internship or work-learning expereince.

Quick Facts on CPT:

Student Eligibility Requirements

  • Students must be on F‐1 status at least for one full academic year (2 semesters)
  • Students must be enrolled in the required or optional internship course related to your major
  • Students must be registered full‐time, unless you are in the last semester of completing your degree
  • Students must have a job offer.

Without your CPT I‐20 from the ISSO you cannot start working at an internship.

Application and Documentation Requirement

  1. Students must be registered for a CPT course.
  2. Students must complete a CPT Request Form with internship faculty and/or supervising department chair
  3. An offer letter from the employer on company letterhead. The letter must contain the following information:
    • The employer’s name and address
    • The student’s name
    • The statement of the offer with compensation details (paid or non‐ paid)
    • The number of hours to be worked (full or part‐time specified)
    • The beginning and end dates of the employment
  4. BMCC DegreeWorks printout from your CUNYfirst account
  5. Valid passport with visa, your current I‐94 information or printout of electronic I‐94, and social security card.
    • If you do not have a social security number and will be a paid intern – the International Student Services office will help you obtain a social security number after filing CPT paperwork.

Consider joining our office and the International Student Services office for information and workshops on CPT and to participate in internship recruiting events.

Internships and Experiential Learning

199 Chambers Street, Rooms S750 Rooms A, D, H
New York, NY 10007


Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.