Every student entering BMCC in Fall 2013 and after is required to complete the 30-credit Common Core in earn an Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degree. BMCC students who have taken an absence of more than one semester and return to BMCC during the Fall 2013 semester and after, must also complete the 30-credit Common Core to earn an AA or AS degree. Students pursuing an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree can click here for Pathways Common Core requirements.
Pathways students must complete 30 credits towards the Common Core and 30 credits towards their major requirements to earn an AA or AS degree. (Please note: Some AS programs has received waivers to require more than 60 credits for degree completion.)
Once a Common Core area requirement is completed at BMCC, that requirement is also considered fulfilled if transferring to another CUNY college.
Common Core – 30 credits
Required Common Core (12 credits / 4 courses)
- English Composition (2 courses)
- Mathematical and Quantitative Reasoning (1 course)
- Life and Physical Sciences (1 course)
Flexible Common Core (18 credits / 6 courses)
- World Cultures and Global Issues (1 course)
- U.S. Experience in its Diversity (1 course)
- Creative Expression (1 or 2 courses depending on major)
- Individual and Society (1 or 2 courses depending on major)
- Scientific World (1 or 2 courses depending on major)