STEP programs are designed to increase the number of historically underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students prepared to enter college, and improve their participation rate in mathematics, science, technology, health related fields and the licensed professions.
STEP Improves Student Readiness:
- Enriches science and mathematics instruction.
- Provides laboratories for supervised training in research method.
- Conducts summer programs.
- Provides standardized test preparation and practice.
- Assists students with the college application process.
BMCC STEP provides NYC students in the 9th through 12th grades who meet the eligibility requirements with a range academic enrichment courses, research experience, and special programs in science, mathematics and technology content areas.
BMCC STEP Sessions
BMCC STEP runs for three sessions every year.
- Fall (October – December): 10-12 weeks on Fridays, 3:00 – 7p
- Spring (February – May): 10-12 weeks on Fridays, , 3:00 – 7p
- Summer (July – August): 5 weeks Monday through Thursday, 10a – 3p
Meal tickets (for full lunch) and Metrocards are provided to participating students.
BMCC STEP Components
BMCC STEP offers a variety of academic enrichment opportunities every session. STEP workshops, classes, research, and special events are meant to help students learn about and develop skills in the STEM fields as well as to prepare for college admissions.
- STEP CLASSES: FRIDAYS, Doors open at 3:00p, Classes from 4:00-7:00p
step classes are designed to help students gain enrichment in STEM subject area by providing hands-on, activities-based projects. For a full description of courses, please visit: STEP Class Descriptions.
- STEP TEST PREP: TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS, 2:00P-6:00p
STEP will help students prepare for college admissions, ACT, PSAT, SAT, and REGENT exams.
- STEP WORKSHOPS
Help students get information about STEM degrees and professions, as well as college admissions preparation.
- STEP RESEARCH: SCHEDULES ARRANGED WITH MENTOR
provide students the opportunity to engage in actual STEM research in BMCC’s state-of-the-art science laboratories under the guidance of BMCC college students and faculty.
▶STEP courses are subject to change each session. Check the website for course updates. For course descriptions, please see STEP Course Descriptions.
Participating students are encouraged to return to BMCC STEP so that they may investigate the full range of science and technology course offerings.
BMCC STEP Research
FALL 2017 research pairings will be made in mid-October.
Applicants MUST HAVE COMPLETED APPLICATIONS to be considered (including an essay, recent transcript, recommendation, any other required documents).
BMCC STEP offers research opportunities in the STEM fields. Students will work with faculty mentors in BMCC science labs to design, complete, and produce a poster presentation on a research project in one of the subject areas listed above. To participate in a BMCC STEP research project, students must:
- Have a 3.0+ GPA.
- Submit a teacher or guidance counselor recommendation.
- Commit to a full year of research and dedicate at least two hours per week to research.
Students can apply to attend STEP courses AND/OR participate in STEP research. Research participants who adequately complete their research assignments qualify to receive a stipend at the session’s end.
STEP Annual Conference
Selected STEP participants (and the ROBOTICS Team) travel to Albany, NY in March every year to participate in this academic STEM conference for STEP participants.
- Weekend conference
- Keynote & selected speakers
- Info Sessions: STEM fields, college entry, etc.
- RESEARCH POSTER & ROBOTICS competitions