BMCC Policy on Teaching Schedule and Office Hours of Full-Time Teaching Faculty
Revised April 10, 2018
To maximize faculty availability to students and promote the faculty’s involvement in the life of the college community, it is BMCC policy that faculty will be assigned to a teaching schedule that has them on campus at least three days a week. Accordingly, all teaching faculty should be scheduled to teach at least three days a week on campus to the maximum extent feasible. We recognize that certain circumstances, as when faculty teach online classes or have reassigned time, renders it very difficult to schedule a professor three days a week. The following guidelines provide guidance to department chairs for faculty presence on campus as well as to reiterate college policy on faculty office hours.
Faculty Presence on Campus
1. Faculty with a standard teaching load and no more than one online course are expected to be on campus at least three days per week.
2. Faculty teaching two or more online courses are expected to be on campus at least two days per week (faculty may teach up to five online courses within their annual workload).
3. Faculty with reassigned time for research/creative activity are expected to be on campus no less than two days a week. Faculty on full reassigned time are expected to be on campus at least one day per week to meet the office hour obligation.
4. Faculty may teach an unlimited number of hybrid courses within the limits of their semester workload. Faculty teaching multiple hybrid courses are expected to be on campus two days a week.
5. Faculty are required to schedule a minimum of three (3) office hours a week on campus, regardless of teaching load, in both the fall and spring semesters. These are regularly maintained office hours, not “by appointment.” Faculty with full reassigned time are expected to post a minimum of one office hour per week on campus.
6. Faculty teaching two or more online courses may post one of their three office hours as an online office hour.
7. The schedule of office hours should be clearly posted for students by the faculty by the first day of classes.
8. Office hours need to be scheduled with appropriate regard to assigned classes, i.e., morning hours for morning classes, afternoon hours for afternoon classes, and evening hours for evening classes.
9. Office hours may not be scheduled during the designated “club hours,” Wednesday afternoons from 2 pm – 4 pm
BMCC Policy on Teaching Schedule and Office Hours (PDF version of this page)