The Writing and Literature Degree Program Tenth Annual English Department Faculty Awards
Students in the BMCC Writing and Literature degree program an apply for annual awards of up to $1,000*
Submissions are invited in the following areas**:
- Academic Writing: includes critical essays and research papers
- Journalism: includes feature writing and news writing
- Creative Writing: includes Poetry, Fiction, Drama, and Autobiography
News and Feature writing submissions should be between 1,000-2,500 words
Critical essay and research paper submissions should be between 2,000-5,000 words
Fiction autobiography submissions should be between 2,000-5,000 words
Poetry submissions should be between 3-8 poems
Drama submissions should be one full-length play or 2-3 one-act plays
To qualify for an award you must:
- Have completed 12 credits by January 2020
- Be a Writing and Literature major
- Have a 3.0 average in English courses
- Submit original writing in one or more of the above categories
- Complete a cover sheet, available in the English Department or at Submissions.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: February 2020
To be Announced (First week of April 2020)
No late submissions will be accepted.
* Because the awards are funded by the BMCC English Department Faculty and run through the BMCC Fund, students must have their Bursar’s bills paid in full. Otherwise, award monies will be used first to settle accounts with the college.
** Awards will be based on writing excellence.
The number and dollar amounts of the awards will be determined by members of the Writing and Literature Degree Program Committee.
Awards will not necessarily be granted in each category.
For additional information, contact Professor Holly Messitt: firstname.lastname@example.org, S709, x7278