Creating a new document
Using Microsoft PowerPoint
You will be making just one slide (or page) in PowerPoint.
- Using Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 or greater, click on the Design tab at the top and then “Slide Size” → “Page Setup”
- In the Page Setup pop-up menu, set the page size to the same size that you want your poster to be, i.e., 18″ x 24″.
- Place your type and graphics
- Export as PDF
Using Microsoft Word
- “Page Setup”→ “Paper Size”→ “Manage Custom Sizes”→ “Paper Size”→ 18″ x 24″
- Place your type and graphics, export as PDF.
Resizing an existing document
If you have an existing flyer that you already saved as an 8.5″ x 11″ PDF, you can use Word to resize your flyer sized file to a poster sized one.
- Create a new 18″ x 24″ blank Word document using the same steps as above (“Page Setup”→ “Paper Size”→ “Manage Custom Sizes”→ “Paper Size”→ 18″ x 24″)
- Drag and drop your existing PDF flyer onto the blank Word document. Your flyer will only take up about ¼ of your new sheet.
- You should see your graphic as a rectangle with small squares on each corner. If you locate your cursor on the lower right corner, your cursor should appear as a set of opposing diagonal arrows. Hold SHIFT and drag diagonally downward to scale your PDF to fill your new 18″ x 24″ area.
- Export as PDF.